Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2020, 03:04:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Part 12: Dead fingers lurk among the seaweed  (Read 6768 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Part 12: Dead fingers lurk among the seaweed
« on: July 17, 2008, 11:12:25 AM »

Leaving the abbey the party travels southwards to the old elven ruins. The journey goes unimpeeded but whilst the sun shines down a ghastly green glow can still be seen from the top of the beacon tower at the northern end of the isle.

Peering over the cliff at southpoint it is indeed clear that the corpse has vanished. Old Naedath does not approach the cliff yet, plopping himself down to rest but insisting that he'll be fine to come over and witness something when the group has "come to a decision. For while the dwarf here may be able to breath underwater, breathing may be the least of his worries what with all those corral reefs and goodness knows what lurking beneath the waves. Why," he adds, "if the dead on the island have risen, then what of the countless shipwrecks that must have broken on the reefs, such as that barbarian ship from the northlands, the survivors of which decimated this elven outpost?"

After a few moments he athen adds that "and besides, the situation offers a good opportunity to study the sea nymph once more. Such a beautiful natural creature is rarely seen and my curiousity was piqued last time."

Scoffing the abbot says "I thought you said she was naked."

"She was," says Naedath, "she was? Oh, I can't say I'd noticed myself."

Abbot Olmaren chuckles.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Part 12: Dead fingers lurk among the seaweed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »

While the Abbot and Neadath are chatting Aurum walks over "can either of you tell me what this is or does? A sailor gave it to me for saving his life."

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »

Ivor looks across at what he's on about.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 06:26:58 AM »

Alarian waits for aurum to get an aswer and then asks 'you know it might be worth a try casting a couple of stones into the water , could be it would attract any undead thats down there, or perhaps i should just use the pearl. what say you all.?'
I'll be in my bunk.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »

"I'll head into the water in a second"

If no one takes up Aurum in his request he will just head into the water and see what he can find

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »

"Hmm - let me take a look. I wonder if it's magical.."?

Ivor wil cast Detect Magic, and try to ascertain the power of the item.

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »

Kiaphas listens intently to what the wise man might say about the pendant. "Any knowledge can be useful."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:06 AM »

Ivor pulls down one of his overhead arms bearing a small crystal lense and examines the object, muttering strange gnomish words under his breath as he does so. As his eye becomes attuned to the magical spectrum he begins to pick up interesting effects. The spells bound to this object are those of force, power and energy. This energy is constantly emanting from the necklace, leaking tiny fragments of kinetic energy and power into existence. The effect is so minute he almost misses it at first. It's constant seeping also makes it less likely to detect than an irregular throb or pulse.

"Most interesting," mutters Ivor as he attempts to relay his findings in layman's terms. Old Naedath himself is most interested and proposed to study the item properly later, should the gnome not wish to do so himself.

The item is enchanted with a low level evocation spell. It's effect is minute but, whatever it is, it's in an "always on" state and so does not need activating in any way.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »

Aurum satisfied that someone looked at it politely takes it back "We can check it later, I am going in." He hands his shield to his brother since it will only get in his way and climbs down into the water with a tight grip on his axe. He swims along the floor looking around since he isn't sure if the zombie can swim. If he spots anything he will head toward it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:54:11 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »

Kiaphas will get Squall to follow Aurum from above. A sea-eagle should be able to see him from above the water. I'll use another Speak With Animals if necessary, with instructions to come back if Aurum's fighting something, and lead us to him. "Is there a boat around? We might better reach Aurum if we can dive straight from above."

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »

When I checked the numbers I laughed for about half an hour (or at least 25 minutes) while I tried to compose this post. You'll see why here.

Leaving his shield behind, Aurum descends the path to the ledge at the base of the cliff and rather inellegently slips into the water with a loud splosh and sinks rapidly from view.

When swimming armour check is doubled, so his armour check of 4 increases to 8, adding in his shield would make it -10 (and with only +7 in swim he'd be swimming at -3). So without the shield he's only swimming at -1.

The others watching from above soon lose sight of him as the glimmer of sunlight on his armour vanishes in a matter of heartbeats. Down beneath the waves Aurum finds the water to be rather dark, muddy and mirky. Visibility is very limmited (to about 5'!!!!) and little light filters down through the dark waters above. Soon Aurum's boots reach the bottom and he steadies himself to begin his search.

Elsewhere, deep within it's prison, the Grimorden stirs. Something has changed upon the island. Lazily it extends it's senses, one of the life forms it observed earlier has moved into the water. The water where something very important lies. Something the Grimorden cannot allow to be recovered if it's plan for freedom is to go unhindered. Silently it extends it's senses to the corpse within the waters. It regrets the fact that the body on the ledge had been too damaged to raise, it regrets having to command it's servile corpse to drag it's former companion deep beneath the waves to conceal all hints of the gem's presence.

Most of it's deadly servants seem to have been rendered useless. Now is a time for more decisive action. First the walking flesh cage that houses an echo of it's master's necrmantic power it commands to restrain the intruder, he must be held beneath the water and drowned. That petty matter set aside, the Grimorden begins weaving it's networks of power, seeking out old demonic pacts and debts owed for centuries.

Inwardly Aurum curses the darkness down here. While his eyes can see easily through the dark, it's the stirred up soil and sand that obstructs his view. This water is mucky, filfthy, infested with dust, soil and earth. He does not expect to come out of this all slimey but the dirt renders it difficult to see. Slowly his fingers sift through the dirt on the sea bed as he begins his search.

On the cliff above Squall spies something unusual and sqawks a warning. Kiaphas strains his eyes to see what might have rattled her. And then he sees it, something darker moving beneath the water. Whatever it is, this dark shape is about twenty yards out to seea and moving towards the spot where the dwarf was last seen. It might be a shark, or seal or something. As it begins to reach Aurum's location it seems to disssipate as it sinks from view. As he watches, Kiaphas realises that it wasn't dark, it was just water, a dense body of water flowing against the tide in a small concentrated mass.

The water elemental closes in on Aurum. Down in the darkness, in it's own element, it prepares it's assault. As the dwarf's fingers brush across an old piece of driftwood he feels a gust of water buffet him in the side. He is confused, the water does not seem unusualy turbulent. Peering about in the darkness he tries to see water, within water!

Battle thread incoming.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 12:04:27 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »

Entire battle:

Pumping his arms and kicking his legs Aurum tries to push off from the bottom of the ocean. Desparately his eyes scan the water and he manages to make out a concentration of mud and dust caught up in the water close by him. SUmmoning up every ounce of energy he breathes out a great gout of flame. Water boils and bubbles and surges towards him. Scalding hot water washes over him, threatening to knock him off his feet. Steadfast the dwarf continues to breath forth the dragon's fire!

Water churns beneath the dirt, stones and bits of driftwood rise up in the swirling waters and batter the dwarf as he continues to pour forth fire into the heart of the small storm. Water and goodness knows what manner of muck gather in his throat, clogging it up and momentarily blocking the flames. Desparately he lashes out with his axe but the water hampers his stroke. Spitting and cursing he spews forth one more gobbet of flame burning the muck in his throat to cinders.

Slowly the storm abates. Everything begins to settle once again. On the cliff above all that was seen of this was a few flashes of light in the deep, so far below the surface as to be almost hidden from sight. Peering down the group begin to wonder where and when Aurum intends to make landfall.

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »

Hi

Ivor will scan the coast, looking for a beach or reasonable place for Aurum to leave the water.

Cheers
Paul H

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:13:11 PM »

There's Wynsar's cove about halfway up the island's coast or there's the bay where the ship dropped you off up near the far end. For anything else he'd really need to walk around a lot but those two are the best options.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »

Everyone waits for Aurum to resurface. After about ten minutes there's still no sign of him. Naedath mentions that he'd very much like to go and see this magic seeing glass in the tower and Ivor begins clambering down the slippery and treacherous path to the ledge above the water.