Custom Hobby Forum

• December 04, 2020, 03:40:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: Battle thread 6: The Shadow Klinn returns!  (Read 8539 times)

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Battle thread 6: The Shadow Klinn returns!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »

Thats group 2 all posted (since you control Naedath and he is sleeping anyway). Lets see whats the brothers dwarf do to the thing!

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:08:56 AM »

The board is broken! I cannot post in this ff'ing thread!

So, 5th time lucky then:

Rogan stands, grabs his mace (fortunately combined with standing) and casts bless which means everyone gets +1 to hit and +1 to fear based saves for a long time (something like 10 rounds). Rogan charges and attacks for a whopping total of 30 (1 point shy of being a critical threat too). Unfortunately he rolls a 5 on the d100 so his axe passes clean through it's ghostly form. That's exactly what happened when Alarian tried to chop at it but at least that time it seemed to notice.

Naedath's sleep is disturbed and he'll wake up (and be fully alert in a round or two's time).

That leaves us with group 3: Kiaphas is in the same square as Aurum so he'll need to crawl away a bit before being able to stand. Ivor wakes up and casts True Strike. The abbot wakes and, sittting bolt upright, screams "aaah, it's here again" or words to that effect (I'll do the round synopsis in a bit).

Once I've got a declaration of intent from Kiaphas (even if it's just "lie still but no longer be flat footed" we'll move on to round two :).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:13:03 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 11:25:57 AM »

What happened to Aurum's attack?

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »

What happened to Aurum's attack?

Generaly ghostly shadowy undead creatures are insubstantial (and see through and stuff like that). The reason for this (in the AD&D rules, anyway) is that they really exist on another plane of existance. They are unable to fully manifest (in the way that summoned demons and devils would) and only have a tenuous connection to the physical plane. This poor connection works both ways. While it hampers them and reduces their effectiveness (although the rules don't really reflect this very well and make them too efficient), it does work well for their defence with the "your weapon goes right through it's misty insubstantial form" thing.

The rules handle this by having a miss chance (similar to those granted by concealment, but a lot larger).

So basicaly Aurum's attack hit but then it failed the insubstantial 50% miss chance roll (required a 51 or better to strike a physical part that wasn't temporarily flickering or phased out or something). Many spells and varieties of magic weapon can ignore this miss chance and there's evena feat (blind fighting) which lets you re roll it (although I'm not sure you should be able to against incorporeal things, it does make sense for fighting in the darkness 'though).

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »

So he did a whole lot of nothing with the bless benefit and his magical axe

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »

Roll out from under the ghostie, grabbing at my trident. I hope to stand by the end of the move, facing big greeblie, and wouldn't mind getting a poke in.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:51 AM »

So he did a whole lot of nothing with the bless benefit and his magical axe

Unfortunately, this time, yes.

Since Alarian hurt it, it'll go for him. It's touch attack roll is a shocking 21. It drains him of 4 points of constitution. We're now in round 2 so go Raoul and Alarian!

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »

Er, oops.  Messed up.  Since Raul can't actually hit the best from his current position, what with there being a dwarf in the way and all :icon_wink: he'll swap weapons for his bow and start putting arrows into it over the head of his smaller friend - but not until next round I guess  :shrug:
:hal:   

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 11:32:15 AM »

Hi

erm - is this creature Incorporeal? If so - then only magical weapons can hit it, and that with 50% miss chance. Even my non-force spells have miss chance, including area effects!   :icon_eek:

Cheers
Paul H

PS Will cast spells when it's my turn

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »

Alarian, flinches from the beasts touch and renews his efforts to destroy it utterly (Full out power attack), while muttering under his breath about being cranky from to little sleep and would these creatures please have the decancy to let the living get on with it.....
I'll be in my bunk.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »

is this creature Incorporeal?

Yep.

If so - then only magical weapons can hit it, and that with 50% miss chance.

I don't think it needs magical weapons. The only thing that'll bypass the etheral 50% miss chance is force effects (mage armour, magic missile, spiritual weapon etc) and magic weapons with certain qualities (ghost touch etc) that allow them to be ethereal too.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »

(ghost touch etc) that allow them to be ethereal too.

I need to pay to have that added to my weapon

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »

When you've got 6000 gold we'll go see a wizard - it costs as a +1 bonus.  :icon_wink:

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »

I know some of your guys are Dwarves, but can we worry about the Shadow Beast, before we worry about gold, please?
:hal:   

PaulH

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 09:44:17 AM »

I know some of your guys are Dwarves, but can we worry about the Shadow Beast, before we worry about gold, please?

LOL

Hi

Hopefully the Spell Flinger's magic wil finish this quite quickly. Might be an idea for the Cleric to memorise a Magic Wpn plus Spiritual Wpn in the morning.......?  :icon_wink:

Spiritual Wpn is a Force Effect that ignores incorporeal miss chance, even has same crit multiplier etc as deity's favoured wpn! (Eg. I play Cleric LLir in WLD campaign, her wpn is Rapier with threat 18-20, double damage).   :icon_twisted:

Cheers
Paul H