Custom Hobby Forum

• December 04, 2020, 03:45:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Battle thread 5: corpses in the council chamber  (Read 4688 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Battle thread 5: corpses in the council chamber
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »

Rogan's already removed 1 of the bodies so there's only 7 zombies in the council chamber. I'll keep things simple here: the zombies with tonsures are the monks and the ones without are the workmen. I think this might be the perfect opportunity to blow Rogan's last turning attempt.

Group 1:
Kiaphas 20
Raoul 19
Aurum 13
Ivor 10

Group 2:
Rogan 8
Alarian 7
Workers 6
Monks 1

Okay folks, go forth and kick arse!

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Battle thread 5: corpses in the council chamber
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:26:14 PM »

Aurum shouts "I can use my breath on them" as he steps forward to get a good shot at as many of them as he can. Once he is in position he lets loose with his breath weapon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:31:55 PM by Custom_Hobby »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »

Raul will step into the doorway of the monk's room he has just checked out, to let the heavier hitters past before he gets stuck in.  Weapons at the ready, of course.  Then, Total defence, this round only.
:hal:   

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:57:11 PM »

Kiaphas will strike at any outliers that are unlikely to get hit by Aurum's breath, if such a zombie exists. He'll also look out for any flamable items and warn Aurum of them. We don't want to burn the place down.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:19:21 PM »

I'm probably going to try and update Kiaphas' portrait sometime soon. I'm not happy with it. It looks way too calm and way too old. I just couldn't find a picture close to my mental image of him at the time.

Mike, 15' cone of fire? That's a red dragon, right? I thought it was a 15' cone of acid. Is there a typo on your character sheet? I reckon wherever he aims it that carpet's a gonner. The book with records of all the meetings is probably in danger too.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »

His breath weapon is from a Gold Dragon. That is why it is fire. I know it will probably torch everything but I figured it is more important to destroy the things rather than let anyone else get hurt. If the party thinks I should forgo it I will change it, I just need to know before Kiaphas goes.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »

I just need to know before Kiaphas goes.

Well Kiaphas goes before Aurum in the initiative order :p.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »

Ok If Kiaphas advances into the room I am not going to use his breath weapon because it might hit him too. so Aurum will just do a full attack with Axerager. He also has his aura set to do more damage.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:30:27 AM »

Right then, fwoom, woosh, burn, flicker of dying flames as they slowly peter out!

:Walkdrag:

Okay then, so.......

Zombie damage is

5 (saved from 9) 17 on the nose, I'm going to write that save dc down incase we need it again later.
5 (from 9, rolled an 18 even with the zombie's -1 save modifier)

So that's 6 of the 7 zombie's burned. The carpet's a bit singed but since it's a single gout of flame it hasn't caught alight. There's a few flickering flames among the smoking fibres 'though. He angled up a bit to miss the book table so there's a bit dark singe mark across the cieling (hence the minimal damage to the carpets, I'll need to check if there's any tapestries on the walls 'though).

Ivor's not going to do anything this round (other than touch his gnawed leg subconsciously) so we're on to group 2. It might be awkward to do much with Aurum in the way but go mosh 'em folks!

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »

When it is his turn Aurum attacks with Axerager

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »

Wow but everyone's quiet. I think I'll have to 3 day rule it tomorrow.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

Sounds good to me. Remember one player dropped out, one is MIA, and one said he was going away this weekend. So it might be safe to 'three day it' today.

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »

OOC: OK i guess ill jump right in:)

as its fairly crowded in the hall and Alarian cant see around the corner to see whats going on, he will wait patiently and move forward when opportunity presents.  He will also keep an eye out for whats happening behind as well, as you can never tell what may be drawn by the noise of battle.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:23:32 AM by Hawkins »
I'll be in my bunk.

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »

Sorry, I've not been checking as often as I'd like.  Rogan turns undead.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »

Okay, Rogan moves up to turn undead. If he didn't a zombie was going to try and grapple Aurum (so he could be dragged into the room and outnumbered) but he would've probably murdered it with his attack of opportunity and stayed outside.

Rogan's turning roll is 16 so he turns level 4 or lower undead and destroys level 2 or lower (zombies being level 1 or 2). He successfuly destroys 2d6+5 = 13 hd worth of undead. So six and a half zombies are destroyed (that's 6 then). 1 remains. This will only affect zombies that can see him so only 4 are purged. 3 remain.

So those 3 shamble forwards (smoking and flickering exept for the one that didn't get burned) and try to attack Aurum. Two try to grapple him. One makes the attempt and the other (who he has cover against) assists. It only rolls a 5 so no assistance. It's not being clever and realising it can help the other zombie. It's just that they're both trying to do the same thing and combining it with an assist's a lot less rules intensive for all of us :).

The grappling zombie provokes an aoopp so Aurum goes for it. He rolls a natural 20 but unfortunately undead are immune to critical hits :(. He still does d10+8 damage? Where does that 8 come from? 4 from strength, 1 from a +1 weapon, another 2 if he's using it two handed. That's still only +7 and a even with a temporary +1 bonus (which shouldn't be in the permanent section) that's only +8. +8 +1 is +9 so where does that extra 1 come from? Okay, so untill I work it out it's +7 (+1 for +8) since the other weapons have correct damage listed. He's also using a shield so it's only +5 (1 handed) +1 for his damage boost bard thing :p.

So he does a whopping 14 damage (two maxed out rolls in a row). Since the zombie had already taken 6 damage from the flames it goes down.

The other zombie still has 8 damage outstanding. So we now move on to round 2 with one badly injured zombie and one unmarked by blade or flame. Go for it guys!