Custom Hobby Forum

• September 27, 2021, 04:53:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Small Balls  (Read 1613 times)

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
Small Balls
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:09 AM »

I've been looking at the dragon WIP over at Hasslefree, trying to scrud*e together inspiration for my own attempt, which has reached the end of phase 1, "Make a dragon skull you like". I noticed that the eyes on Kev's masterpiece appear to be small silvery balls. Ball bearings perhaps? Whatever they are this looks like a singularly good way to overcome my inability to sculpt round things. Erm... but I don't know where to get ball bearings from, I've never had to buy them before. A quick search of the internets has found me some nice sites but really I want to take my skull along and size them up in situ before I buy. I know the ocular orbit I've made is roughly 3mm in diameter (roughly because it's more a rounded triangle than a circle) but just going by the measurement won't tell me how well they "fit", you know? Not just physically go in the hole but whether they then look in scale. So what sort of shop does one wander into to find ball bearings roughly 1.5-2.5mm in diameter? Please feel free to suggest other small balls that might work if you have a better idea than bearings :)
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Small Balls
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »

A hardware store or do-it-yourself shop should have them.

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
Re: Small Balls
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:43 AM »

Any worthwhile hardware store will have a great assortment of bearings in several different sizes, you should be able to find what you are looking for no problem. I should know, I ran a hardware for 9 years.