Custom Hobby Forum

• September 27, 2021, 05:41:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Ruined Chapel  (Read 1994 times)

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
Ruined Chapel
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »

This project is actually very old, about 4 years. It was my second ever terrain project. But in the end, I really didn't like the way it looked. The bell tower had a wooden platform on top, the roof was plastruct sheet shingles. I don't know what it was about it, but I wasn't very happy with it.
Fast forward to now, I think this one is coming back. I went ahead and took of the roof and tower, the two parts that were really buggung me. I smashed up the walls, since I think the best way to get ruined, is start with a whole building and ruin it. Next I took the whole thing apart, in order to carve the bocks on the inside. I also made a few windows to break up the shape. I kept all of teh other parts that were broke off, I figure that will make the right amount of rubble for it. I kind of want iy to be flooded, but who knows, probably not. I figure tis could be a hideout for bandits, or rangers. Next step I suppose is paint.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:23:26 PM by Theomar Pius »

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
Re: Ruined Chapel
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »

get it finished... it looks to have great possibilities.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »

I dont think it looks ruined but more deconstructed.  The bits you've removed, the edges are too neat and dont show signs of wear and seems like someone has just come along and removed a load of the bricks.  I could be wrong and it will look the part though once painted as WIP's are always misleading til finished I find.

dargrin

• Juvenile Dragon
    • www.darkgrinminiatures.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »

That looks real close to the one I have made a while ago but yours came out so much better.
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »

I like the feel of it so far.

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:09:04 AM »

I dont think it looks ruined but more deconstructed.  The bits you've removed, the edges are too neat and dont show signs of wear and seems like someone has just come along and removed a load of the bricks.  I could be wrong and it will look the part though once painted as WIP's are always misleading til finished I find.

I'll keep that in mind. I can break up some of the more square blocks, but I want to keep some, no way every block would be crumbled.

The truth is, I just ripped the thing apart by hand and pliers, and the breaks are all natural. :icon_suspicious:

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:48:20 AM »

Looks good to me, so far :)

Now get it finished!  :whip:

:icon_wink:
:hal:   

gi6ers

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:49:37 AM »

I think the issue is that the edges are too sharp, if it's a ruin you'll see a lot more weathering and erosion IMO

http://www.naryves.com/pj/uk/arthursruin.jpg

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:50:02 AM »

Run a file or a bit of sandpaper around the edges to take some of the sharpness out but don't go too far. Gi6er's example is mostly fieldstone and mortared cobble and, pretty though it is, weathers in a much more crumbly fashion than proper cut masonry.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »

He will definitely be able to give it that weathered look. I think he took that pic right after he ripped the pieces off of it. Great pic gi6ers :clap2: