News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Main Menu

Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed

Started by Perv, March 11, 2008, 06:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perv

Anyone know where I can get a model rope ladder and a small crane arm or derrick?  I dont fancy making the ladder but can do at a push.  The crane arm needs to be about 1.5 inches long and so I can thread a model chain through the end so it works as a hoist, wont be attached to model crane machinery.

geronimo

Your local model railway shop should be able to help you out on part of that at least. Lots of O or N gauge cranes, or suitable industrial bits available as kits - water towers, coal chutes, derricks, that kind of thing. Have seen some complete with fine gauge chain and moving hoist wheels.

Rope ladders - model boat shops. The guy in the unit next to us at work is a boat shop but he doesn't have a website. I'll try and have a peek in there tomorrow and see if he's got anything that would suit you :)
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Perv

#2
Nothing local to me unfortunately so internet only.  I tried that Netmerchants but cant find anything there, they had a few crane models but all for more money than I want to pay, think cheapest was about £16 IIRC

Will have a mosey around the railway sites as you're right there should be something from their ranges I can use  :icon_wink:

If you could ask your neighbour that'd be brilliant mate, only need it about 6 inches long.  No rush though as its not stopping me doing more on the piece.

Mucho Gracias

By the way I still have the pieces cast up from that mould I got if you wanted them?  They're wrapped up somewhere and just need your address to send em to ya

Just found this and its closest to what I want.  Painted in a different way it should be fine.  No luck with the rope ladder so far though  :icon_scratch:


Keeper

Have you looking in shops locally that stock model railway stuff? Somewhere like ModelZone, if you've got one.
:hal:   

Perv

Nothing at all local mate, Norwich is over 30 miles away which is nearest place that'd have one.  I've got a model radio controlled car shop here but thats it  :icon_scratch:

geronimo

#5
The neighbour's shop had no joy on rope ladders - he specialises in boats and as far as he knows, nobody makes them. Wouldn't be that hard to scratchbuild one with twisted fuse wire and strips of balsa/lolly stick, surely?

Lots of cranes around in various railway scales. Personally I'd go for something victorian/steam age - if I spot a link I'll post it!

And yes please on those blocks - they can be added to the enormous "to-do" list ;)

EDIT How-to GW article on rope ladders http://thewarofthering.uk.games-workshop.com/fangorn-lothlorien/tree-flets/1/
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Perv

Thanks for asking him anyway.  I thought I'd have to scratch build it. 

I will use model chain and matchsticks I think.  Matchsticks will be pretty much the ideal size already so saves cutting anything, much cheapness too  :icon_w00t:  They're not all exactly the same so will look authentic I think....

If you do spot an old looking crane please post it, I have searched loads of places online and just cant find anything perfect  :icon_scratch:  I dont need the whole thing, just the arm wth a loop on the end so I can thread chain thru it but if the whole thing looks suitable for a fantasy setting then will be better

That GW ladder only looks suitable for a lean Elf to go up it  :icon_w00t:

Pm me your address and I will send blocks this weekend, think they're in loft somewhere.....