Custom Hobby Forum

• September 27, 2021, 05:59:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: WIPs of all sorts (image heavy)  (Read 3167 times)

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
WIPs of all sorts (image heavy)
« on: March 11, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »

So there are those who want to know what I've been up to recently. Why no posts of painted minis? What happened to my promised Wyrd FF3 entry? Well okay then.

Firstly Wyrd. I got as far as the base and got viral keratitis in my eye and that's pretty much where it ended. But here's that base as is:

I don't seem to be able to get a good shot of it, it always comes out a blood red colour at the edges when really it's more browny-orange. It's my first attempt at alternate light source stuff too, uplighting the rocks with the lava glow. Here's a different angle of that:

The final idea has a skeleton on the big rock, with putty gribbliness over it painted to look like a badly burned, charred corpse then on the two white footprints in the lava is HF's Miranda, painted in lava-like colours walking away. "Embrace of the lava nymph" or something similar was its working title. I intend to finish it... eventually.   :icon_whistling:

Painting seems to strain my eye a lot at the moment so I've been mucking around with sculpting a bit to pass the time so here are my very first attempts... or at least the first ones I haven't binned after about 10 secs. Firstly is something sort of inspired by a half-dragon blackscale lizardman who briefly featured in our D&D Eberron campaign long enough to near fatally bathe our sorceress in acid before my paladin lopped his head off with a huge one hit crit:

Apologies for the quality of the photos, I seem to have great difficulty getting my camera to focus on procreate. Go figure. The head's just a jaw articulation with a tongue and a snake-like palette in it at the moment. When he's properly posed he's in a sort of knuckle walking ape stance, his left hand flat on the ground, the right will be clutching a spear, shaking it above his head. His head will be craning forward, mouth agape as if roaring or preparing to barf acid on an errant spellcaster. He's pretty big (about the size of the mawe) and the distorted proportions (extra long back and arms, shortened legs) are mostly deliberate   :icon_wink: . I plan to plop a textured skin over his dorsal surface, using a texture stamp, unbelievably enough, imprinted from the steering wheel of my Skoda Fabia.
Secondly is this:

Contrary to initial impressions this isn't any sort of wading bird but a dragon skull. The long protrusion is in fact the nasal bone so if you can imagine palate and upper jaw dropping down from it. The "bulb" is the cranium. It's inspired by a sketch I half-inched ages ago as a reference from the internet but I can't find it any more to link to. I suppose I could host it somewhere but I'm not sure about the legality of posting up others doodles.
So anyway as ever hints, tips and useful critique would be mighty appreciated. And I promise I'll try to get a competition entry finished this year. My Golden Chef entry mini was ordered yesterday (because I can't get to Triples   :crybaby2: ) so that's at the top of my agenda.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
Re: WIPs of all sorts (image heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »

That base is great and you can almost feel the heat coming from it  :icon_w00t:

I wont comment on the sculpting as I havent quite worked out what it is I'm looking at....will wait til its more complete  :icon_wink:

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »

Some more progress on that Half-black dragon blackscale lizard man. Boy... is that a mouthful... let's call him George instead.
So further WIPs of George. The back and chest area have a little more done on them and there are now some features on his head:

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get these shots to come out, my camera would focus on anything but the Procreate. I'm sure that stuff's leaked out of the stealth technology industry. Possibly because it was easy to sneak out past the cameras.
As ever comments, critique and tips welcome. Especially if you know owt about sculpting teeth coz they're a nightmare to do.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:03:47 PM »

lol is that just coincidence as my name is George?

I see what it is now, all is revealed  :icon_w00t:  Yeah mate thats looking good.  He looks a bit weak at the knees but I hate commenting on WIPS as I always point out something that is already due to be done so sorry if thats in hand.

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »

base is a great job.

the sculpt looks like it has promise.

what has happened with your other sculpts?

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »

lol is that just coincidence as my name is George?

I see what it is now, all is revealed  :icon_w00t:  Yeah mate thats looking good.  He looks a bit weak at the knees but I hate commenting on WIPS as I always point out something that is already due to be done so sorry if thats in hand.

I'd just watched the Bugs Bunny cartoon with Daffy and the Abominable Snowman in on YouTube so I assure George was entirely picked due to that :)
Knees are indeed in hand, bulking out the arms and legs below the quads are the next jobs on the list. What's there currently are first layer shapes not the final product.

what has happened with your other sculpts?

I primarily thought of giving this sculpting lark a go because my D&D character is a warforged and there are no good models of that type around. I have a very definite idea of how he looks so I started a few armatures but I was kinda rushing in with no real idea of what to do so I put that on hold and started this guy, who's much bigger, just to learn about how to shape putty on a slightly more forgiving scale. I'll get back to my warforged after this guy.

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »

The lava base looks great, I'd love to see the progression from start to finish.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »

lol cool, I dont mind iof you name him George after me  :icon_w00t:

I thought so with the knees, the way its coming along I think it will be nicely and relistically done.

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »

A little more work on George. Now the head's attached and the musculature a bit better defined. Due to a minor misadventure with his feet I haven't got on with the legs as I'd wanted but I'm getting there slowly. The holes in the top of his head are for a pair of ram-style curling horns.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »

looking very good !!!   How about spikes along his spine?

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:02:22 PM »

he IS looking good.

I can't wait to see how he ends up, I can't figure the pose out.

Caerban

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »

looking very good !!!   How about spikes along his spine?

Thanks! I'm debating the hows and whys of spikes at the moment. Once all the musculature is on then they'll be next so they can be erupting thru' the skin layer which is going on last (well apart from any armour or clothing).

he IS looking good.

I can't wait to see how he ends up, I can't figure the pose out.

Pose is as the first two photos. It's a snapshot from a scene from the campaign I'm involved in. Our sorceress put some magic missiles into him and he turned around and breathed acid all over her. This is my attempt to capture the acid breathing moment, but I'm choosing to make it look half-way between breathing and barfing because he's only half dragon. It takes him more effort to breath so he throws himself forward into it, almost like and ape's knuckle walking stance. His right arm will be clutching the magical spear we looted from his body. The whole pose is best described as sort of "dynamic barfing with spear waving".