Custom Hobby Forum

• September 27, 2021, 06:31:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: First side for my diorama  (Read 2638 times)

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
First side for my diorama
« on: March 10, 2008, 07:25:50 AM »

I've given up painting minis as just cant do it anymore.  I have a mental block on them and just cant clear it...been like it for more than 6 months now....

So I decided to go bigger and not just a little bit either  :icon_w00t:

It measures 3 foot wide by 2 foot high.  Its only been drybrushed fortress grey at the moment and have stuck the walls on now so they can be drybrushed soon.  Then will do a light drybrush of white and add some Dwarven features to it.  There will be a rope ladder (When I find one) connecting the 2 platforms that have no stairs and a small crane arm\derrick to hoist ammo up to the top as I will have a couple of bolt throwers placed on the top level.  The mine entrance at the bottom does go back 3-4 inches but you cant see it from pic but will make that more miney looking too.

What d 'ya think for my first real piece of scenery?  I will update photos soon when its finished and there will be 4 of these positioned at a right angle (L Shape) to simul;ate the walls of my fortress.  Will be 6' by 6' in total size  :icon_w00t:

4 of these will cost me about £60 in total to make, not bad eh?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:29:07 AM by Perv »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: First side for my diorama
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »

Nice work, Perv :)

Looking closely is that rock polystyrene - how did you get that broken effect?

And did you make the stairs, platforms and stuff separate and them implant them into the rock?
:hal:   

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »

Hiest blocks and some sort of spray foam that sets rock hard maybe.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »

cheers mate  :icon_w00t:  yep cheapo polystyrene  :icon_wink:  I got a sheet 8' by 4' by 10 cm thick and cost just over £20 from B&Q.  I have the expanded foam board but I figured the polystyrene would be better as all I have to do it hack at it with a chisel.  The polystyrene texture is perfect for cliffs and a lot of it I just pulled at with my fingers, piece of the proverbial urine.  If you're angry though I highly recommend a chisel and going into a frenzy on it, great fun but narf makes a mess !!!

The straight stairs are from a Hirst arts mould, travellers bridge one I think, and the curved ones are from the 4" tower mould.  I had a load of these cast up already and thats where the walls came from too.  I stuck the stairs all together first and put them in place, built up as much terrain around them as I could and then removed them to undercoat the terrain.  The definition in the steps isnt great so I wanted to use as little paint on them as poss to save obscuring what was there and I undercoated the whole thing in Crown magnolia paint which was quite thick.  The polystyrene melts when sprayed so had to do an undefcoat first unfortunately but the steps dont melt so wasnt necessary there

The platforms are just pieces of polystyrene stuck onto the main wall with toothpicks and no more nails glue.  I left one side flat for the top and just ripped bits away from the rest to simlulate the cliffface.  Once stuck on I then used glue and small pieces of polystyrene to build up the pieces around it and make it look more solid.

The walls to my hold will start at the bottom right of this piece so thats why that bit looks neglected  :icon_w00t:

You were right about the blocks but no spray foam, I was doing on the cheap :)

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »

works nicely.

they will make a hugely impressive gaming table.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »

Gaming table?  this is a very serious matter and no games will be played on it !!!!  Just kidding but me not knowing how to play wargames has a lot to do with it  :icon_w00t:  When its finished I may rent it out for tournaments lol

Hawkins

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:48:35 AM »

looks great, my first impression was... Bloody hell!!!  :clap2: :icon_w00t:
I'll be in my bunk.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:50 AM »

lol Thats the impression I want from everyone when the whole things finished, cheers  :icon_w00t:  I've left parts open so i can add to them and build stone walkways connecting things.  Will do some towers and buildings in the main area and want them connected to the walls.  I think the next part I'll do will be the Gyrocopters landing pads and repair area and that will be on another piece but joint to the left of this one.  best get this one finished before thinking further forwards.....

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »

Hey, that's pretty cool there, nice work.  :icon_cool:
When you are painting it, remember that green and brown are your friends. Even grey isn't really just grey.

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »

Cheers  :icon_wink:

I will probably do snow capped tops but will ask about them here first as dont know what to use.  I was thinking of doing a brown stain on teh walkways but not sure how it will come out, will do a tester piece.  I have some lichen that wil go ncely in places but as far as using greens and browns in paint form I would rather not.  I am not artistic enough to make them look good and will end up ballsing the whole thing up so will use colour in other ways  :icon_w00t:

By the way I saw somewhere that did plastic sheets for stained glass windows.  They have designs on them already that you cut out and looked pretty cool.  Remember you was a bit stumped on that church you were doing

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »

OT.. why do you keep the cat locked up in the fire?  :icon_wink:  :Doh!:

Dr.Evil

• Time to take over the world!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Dragon
  • Ever watchful
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »

For these stone walls I started with black base and highlighted it up using gray then white for the final highlights and then gave it a brown ink wash.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

lol the cat was banished there for using my Dwarfs as toys !!!  Have had a few go missing and no idea where shes hidden them....she stays in there til she tells me  :shrug:

Yeah those stone walla look good mate.  My hold is based high in the mountains so theres not going to be much dirt about, mainly rock.  I think when the whites done I will put a thinner wash than you have done over it all so it keeps it a bit greyer but still gives that dirtier look.  Cheers for the idea  :icon_wink:

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

Finished the painting, the green bits arent stuck on yet but will do when I get some pva.  Went to take it upstairs to photo and whacked the side of the doorframe so repairs to do already.....I added a brown ink over it all and drybrushed grey then white again, it did need it as you said Wristy

I'll do the other pieces then work on detailing them all with Dwarven bits