News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Main Menu

First paintjob

Started by Bodhi, January 26, 2008, 09:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodhi

No pics yet, just some thoughts. Started to paint one of the Bob Olley goblins. First attempt at painting a mini in eight years I think.
Not enjoying it and I doubt it will become a hobby of mine. Maybe it's because I'm a sculptor but I just keep having the feeling that I'm ruining a really allready finished artwork...
Silly I know. When others have done beautiful paintworks I've allways felt that it added a LOT so it's not a general feeling, just a feeling I'm having with my OWN painting.
Thought I'd finish it anyway and put some pics up for you all to hack apart  :icon_mrgreen:
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Theomar Pius

Looking forward to it.
When I paint a figure now a days, it's because I have to have painted minatures with my terrain pieces, not so much because I really like painting minis.

Bodhi

Yeah I'm making a little autumn landscape for him with a gnarled tree in the hopes that that will liven things up a bit.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

gi6ers


Bodhi

#4
Quote from: gi6ers on January 26, 2008, 01:47:32 PM
:worthless:

How right you are my esteemed friend  :icon_wink:

To much black, and a bit messy. He's got a fire in front of him so I hope to try doing some sourced lighting from that.
But the first basic painting should be done now.
Except for the metal parts. Daren't try NMM and I haven't got any metal colours so I have to buy some first. Alone with the kids and working fulltime the whole week so I doubt I'll be able to buy any before next monday or so. Pupils where done with a ballpoint pen. BAD idea. So I'll redo them.
Tried to do a hint of bloodshot eyes. Not sure if I succeeded.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Bungle

First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

Keeper

Nice work for not having painted so long, Bohdi!  Nothing I can see that is worth mentioning, that I don't think you wouldn't pick up on your own in your first half-a-dozen painted minis!

I like the pale green skin colour - it really makes him distinctive :D
:hal:   

Bodhi

#7
Used Vallejo and a mix of scorpy green and green brown dilluted with about 80% water then highlighted with Ice yellow (white undercoating).
I'll try to get some reds in once I've got the fire done (sheen from the fire) but I'm a bit scared of that part. Any tips from experienced painters out there?

On the "boot" I tried to make a bloodstain with a demarkation (I've seen mudstains done that way and have allways liked the "french ligne claire" comic effect that gives, Jean Giraud and all that) but I'm not happy with it. Would apreciate tips on how to get that effect to.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Dr.Evil

#8
I had to ask for some help myself when I gave it a go.
I think it needs to be brighter than I did.
Must give it another go some time.

Work out where it will reflect on the figure and where it will stand out more.
It's the same as painting skin, cloth or such, have the glow brighter on the raised parts so you can still see the details and more bold then in real life.

It's the more bold than in real life that I find hard to do in figure painting.  :icon_neutral:
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


gi6ers

Quote from: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

:yeahthat:  and better than anything I'm producing right now.

Bungle

Quote from: gi6ers on January 27, 2008, 03:14:01 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

:yeahthat:  and better than anything I'm producing right now.


:yeahthat: I haven't painted for months

Dr.Evil

#11
Quote from: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 05:17:15 AM
Quote from: gi6ers on January 27, 2008, 03:14:01 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

:yeahthat:  and better than anything I'm producing right now.


:yeahthat: I haven't painted for months

What's painting...  :icon_scratch:

:icon_wink:

It's miles better than what I did when I restarted painting.  :clap2:

I wouldn't worry about NMM unless your wanting to learn something different, me I want to improve my basic painting first.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Bungle

Quote from: Wristaction on January 27, 2008, 08:05:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about NMM unless your wanting to learn something different, me I want to improve my basic painting first.

NMM works for photos of a miniature on the net....

it doesn't work for miniatures in real life as well.

keep with metallics and shade them

Caerban

That's really nice.  :clap2: :clap2:
Colour scheme's got enough sickliness to it to prevent it looking like just another Kermit the frog goblin. Pretty good for a long spell out. I just want these damn viruses out of my eyes so I can get back to painting again :(
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Bodhi

Quote from: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 08:35:10 AM
Quote from: Wristaction on January 27, 2008, 08:05:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about NMM unless your wanting to learn something different, me I want to improve my basic painting first.

NMM works for photos of a miniature on the net....

it doesn't work for miniatures in real life as well.

keep with metallics and shade them

Yeah, only reason I even thought about NMM was that I had three small cans of metallic colour (boltgun black, mithril silver and chainmail. All GW colours). When I opened them they were completely and totally dried out. The chainmail was a kind of thick paste at least so I tried spreading it on with a clayshaper. Looked awful so I scrud*ed it of.
Got any tips on a good Vallejo starter kit for metals? I'd like to have bronze and steel and iron effects possible (And a nice rusteffect would be nice). Silver and gold can wait. I have an aversion against nobility and such themes anyway, prefer the poor sods me.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.