Custom Hobby Forum

• December 01, 2020, 10:48:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Battle Thread 3: Rogan and the dead monks  (Read 7716 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Re: Battle Thread 3: Rogan and the dead monks
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 11:11:13 AM »

Okay, Rogan cas's protection from evil on himself. The zombie he was fighting stumbles over and attempts to strike him. It gets an impressive 18 but since he's got protection from evil up he's got an effective ac of 20 against it so he's fine. The other three zombies move up but can't get at him because the wall/hedge and the building (and their former friend) are in the way.

Can't you just turn them now? You only need to roll something like a 6+ to destroy them (since you're twice their level). Then you could back off and wait for the other guys to turn up so they won't feel so left out.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »

I'm happy being left out a little on this for a while, whilst Rogan is doing so well against his favoured enemy :)  I'm quite enjoying reading about this battle, actually!!

Go Rogan!! :)
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »

Well, see, normaly I wouldn't be so bothered about it but what with the forums having been down for a few months I don't want players losing interest and drifting away while they wait for this fight to be resolved.

I should know, it started to happen to me (notice how this thread didn't get updated for about half a week?).

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 07:29:41 AM »

OOC: If it's starting to get boring, I'll speed things up a bit - I'd been thinking that I really needed to save them for as large groups as possible (ie. 7+) so as not to waste any, but I'd prefer this game continue than kick zombie ass.  Suffice to say that between ~18 zombies worth of turn undead, a damage reduction ignoring spiritual weapon for four rounds (say another 1 or 2) and the rest of my spells, I reckon Rogan had a fair chance of taking them all down in badass fashion, but I understand it would take too long to play through - maybe in a face to face game where the others could go get snacks.  :icon_wink:

Sorry about that.  :icon_neutral:

IC:  With holy power surrounding him and protecting him from harm, Rogan holds out the symbol of the Earth Mother he normally keeps tucked out of view inside his clothes.

"Back to the world of the dead where you belong!" he shouts.  "Trouble the living no more!"

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Turning roll 13, turning damage 9. All 4 zombies collapse to the floor, lifeless husks once more. The evil magic has been driven out of them.

The fight is now over if you want it to be (or you could step around the corner into the courtyard and take on whatever's there considering that you've got 2 turning attempts left).

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »

OOC: Yeah, I think his blood's up now, so he's perhaps not doing the most sensible thing.  Lets try to take some more of the outside zombies down with another turn attempt.

IC:  Full of righteous zeal, Rogan continues around the corner, still holding out his symbol.
"To the grave with you!" he bellows.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »

As Rogan rounds the corner there are 7 zombies standing in the courtyard. The side door to the kitchen has been opened and the corpse of Falma the cook cannot be seen (clearly he's staggered into the kitchen that he knew and loved).

Anyway, that's still 7 zombies 'though so here goes Rogan's turning attempt :). Turning roll 18! Rogan successfuly turns undead of Cr 6 or lower. Turning damage 9. The 4 zombies closest to him collapse, whisps of dark energy drifting uwpards and fading away as the foul sorcery is cast forth from their bodies.

The remaining 3 zombies sort of charge and bundle him a bit. Their attack rolls are 15, 18 & 24! (Yes, one of them roleld really high). Rogan takes 6 bludgeoning damage as one of them bashes him quite effectively (it probably just barges into him and fails to strike a propper blow).

Go Rogan!

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 04:00:18 AM »

OOC: How does casting defensively work?  I can't work that out.  If there's a good chance of me managing to get the spell off, then he'll cast spiritual weapon and let a spiritual battleaxe do some of the work - lasts 4 rounds, attacking at +6 for d8+1 spell damage (bypassing DR).

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »

Seven, eleven, so he'd need to a roll a 4+ the spell's level on a d20. Not too difficult then. But since he's got protection from evil up he could probably just cast normaly since the attacks of opportunity would probably miss (although they still retain their charge bonus 'till their actions next round, they'd still need to roll obscenely high to hit him but then he'd need harder concentration checks if they did).

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:11 AM »

OOC: Yeah, let's go for it - casts Spiritual Weapon.

IC:  Driving the zombies back for an instant with a swing of his mace, Rogan calls out for The Earth Mother to send aid for him agianst the foul undead.

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 04:45:34 AM »

Go, Rogan! :icon_wink:

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 04:48:37 AM »

Kill the ... er, undead! ;)
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 09:35:32 AM »

Well technicaly this is a new fight but we'll continue it in the same thread (plus it could also be technicaly considered a continuation of the old one but I'm going to basicaly call this round 1 and start the count again, it's simpler).

We'll keep the same initiative counts 'though so basicaly he'll go first.

Rogan successfuly casts Spirit Weapon. Let's call it a hammer (it could be a pickaxe or something but a hammer just feels right). The hammer batters one of the zombies for (attack roll 15) 7 points of damage.

Then they all try to hit him (the whacked zombie's a bit slow but it'll probably try swatting at the hammer next round). Attack rolls 6, 19, 8. Protection from evil means that's a miss.

Next round Rogan attacks the wounded zombie : attack roll 19, damage roll 5 (bounces off it's soft squidgey damage reduction). Then the spirit hammer bashes it (attack 21, 5 damage). That's a total of 12 damage it's taken. It attempts to batt the hammer out of the air (zombies aren't that clever remember what with being dead and unable to think). SInce it's a force effect the zombie fails to harm it in any possible way.

The remaining two try to hurt Rogan. Attack rolls 15 & 8. He's safe.

New round:

Rogan bashes the zombie with his mace (attack 15, damage 7). That's 2 past it's dr for a total of 14. I'll let it drop as that's about enough to put it down (there's no way I'm rolling individual hp for 28 different zombies anytime soon :p).

The spirit hammer batters another one and misses (attack roll 6). The two zombies try to hurt the dwarf. Both roll a natural 1 so they just sort of bump into each other and fail to even threaten him (maybe one just stares at the hammer or something).

Now that one's down and there's 2 left (and the hammer's only got one round left) what does Rogan want to do?

Rod the Worm

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 03:19:22 AM »

Cast Bull's Strength and continue to fight them, unless any more turn up?  He's going to save his last turning attempt for if another largish group appear.  Two zombies shouldn't pose too much of a threat anyway.  After this he'll be moving to the kitchen, taking down the ex-cook and seeing how barricadable the kitchen is, so there's not much longer.  :icon_wink:

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »

Round 12: Rogan casts Bull's Strength (defensive casting roll 26). The spirit hammer performs it's last attack (attack roll 23 (critical threat but zombies are undead so there's no confirmation roll) 7 damage). The two zombies try to hurt Rogan (attack rolls 8 & 12).

Round 13: Rogan attacks the wounded zombie (attack roll 8, natural 1). The spirit hammer is gone. The two zombies try to harm him as best they can with a +2 attack bonus needing 20's to hit. 18, 11, both miss.

Round 14: Rogan strikes once more, atatck roll 13, 11 damage (so that's 6, +7 from the spirit hammer = 13, it's still standing but barely). The two zombies try to hit him. 17, 10. Nothing.

Round 15: Rogan strikes, attack roll 18, damage 8. Even with damage reduction that drops the zombie. The remaining zombie gets a 6 so it doesn't even scrud*e his armour.

Round 16: Rogan attacks, 20, for 13 damage (max). So the zombie takes a whopping 8 crunching bone crushing damage. It patheticaly strikes back for a 15.

Round 17: (I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I didn't like the way the 1hr/level spelsl got gimped to 1rnd/level so I'm using them at 10min/level which is what most players were doing before 3rd ed anyway, so basicaly Bull's Strength hasn't just run out). Rogan's attack roll is a 24, so the damage roll is 11 (the zombie takes another 6 putting it on 14 damage, it's wobbling). It makes what will probably be it's last attack gaining an unimpressive 8.

Round 18: Rogan attacks (11) for 11 damage. It drops. Fight's over (thankfuly).