Custom Hobby Forum

• September 27, 2021, 06:19:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Cottage  (Read 2994 times)

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
Cottage
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »

The original theory behind this building, was to see how quickly I could build a quality piece. I wanted to go from scratch to fully based and presentable in two weeks.
Well, in one weeks time, I got the building built, painted, and detailed. I'm running into a snag though, as the weather is not cooperating with me. If it was in the 30 degree range I'd be ok to work outside, but it has been in the 7-15 degree range the last few days, and much to cold to get outside and use power tools. What is left is to cut and bevel the hardboard base, which is quite a dusty job, that's why I do it outside.
Once based, the ground will be sculpted for it, and a small garden scene will be added to a fenced in yard. I've even got the figures painted.

The key to getting this done quickly was A: clear and achievable daily goals, and B: cardboard shingles, instead of styrene. This roof is not as detailed as many others that I have done, but is still presentable.
Hope to be able to post some more pics and get this one finished, my two weeks in up on the 25th!

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
Re: Cottage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:23:49 PM »

Looks as good as your other stuff mate.  You'll be a production line soon  :icon_wink:

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 06:17:33 AM »

Great work, as usual, Theomar!
:hal:   

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:54:14 AM »

Well it got up to 20 today, so I figured it was warm enough, even though it wasn't. So I got the base cut out, and beveled.
I also managed to get a good portion of the landscaping done, at least the basics.
The tree will be done in clay, and the cardboard will become a garden.
The figures are the ones that will be based with this project.
I've also got to make a stone fence, or a wooden fence, I really have'nt decided yet.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:07:55 AM »

Nice work, I'm glad you had a 'warm' spell :wink:

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:44:46 AM »

Well I decided to go with a stone fence, because it is going in a walled village. I figure the house would be handed down through the generations, so there would have been time for things like a stone fence. If it was of in the country, a wooden fence for sure.
I also made a new tree, or am making a new tree, slightly smaller.
Up next is the flocking and details. I want to get this done asap, first for my goal, second because I have another project to get going on.

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »

ok, well this was finished right after the forum went down, so here it is.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/180961

Perv

• Young Adult Dragon
  • MMMMmmmmmm
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:58:37 PM »

That looks brilliant mate !!!  Where did you get the veggie patch?  same place as the pumpkins?

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »

Ah, the veggie patch is an easy one.
Get some corrugated cardboard,

split it in half, glue some sand on it and paint it.
Then I just took clump foliage in the depressed area.
It's a very cheap, but easy way to do a garden.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 06:28:57 PM »

Great stuff Theomar. The garden looks terrific!

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »

Start considering how to massproduce your stuff. Is it possible to make a silicone mold of it? If so, start producing. If not, use materials that will make it possible. The quality is allready there.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 02:33:15 AM »

Start considering how to massproduce your stuff. Is it possible to make a silicone mold of it? If so, start producing. If not, use materials that will make it possible. The quality is allready there.
well thank you sir, I'm working on that bit as we speak... :icon_suspicious:

Agentmolar

• Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • The Tooth is out there.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 02:38:48 AM »

I dont comment on your stuff nearly enough. But then again, im only going to add to the praise!!.. dont want you to get a big head.  :icon_wink:

Great work, id love to sit down and build something with you, im impressed by the level of detailing you do. I look at all my construction materials and dont know where to start.

Top stuff. you should look at casting your work.
Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Theomar Pius

• Inner Circle
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 02:44:25 AM »

I dont comment on your stuff nearly enough. But then again, im only going to add to the praise!!.. dont want you to get a big head.  :icon_wink:

Great work, id love to sit down and build something with you, im impressed by the level of detailing you do. I look at all my construction materials and dont know where to start.

Top stuff. you should look at casting your work.

Check out my wip threads for the village blacksmith, and the town center. Both should give a pretty good idea as to how it is done.
Aside from that, there are two simple rules I follow.
For design: Don't let the fact that something will be hard to do keep you from designing it that way. In the end, you'll figure it out, and be a better modeler for it.
For construction: Patience. If it can be made good looking in 5 hours, it can be made great looking in 7. If you are going to spend a ton of time building something, son't be afraid to spen a little more to get it to look top notch. You'll be happier with the results.