Custom Hobby Forum

  • December 05, 2020, 09:32:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Author Topic: Part 10: Return to the ruins  (Read 3554 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Part 10: Return to the ruins
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »

Aurum, Kiaphas, Raoul and Ivor leave the monastery and head off towards the elven ruins beyond the Southcrown. The setting sun's red glow illuminates the landscape for a while and the beacon from the tower shines bright enough to be seen from sea. However, as the sun is setting and the beacon is unlikely to illuminate everywhere (it's not that bright :p) chances are that the group may find themselves in dark places. The underground chamber they are headed for will most certainly be fairly dark.

Will anyone be taking torches or something? I'm going to check if Ivor's got any light spells memorised just in case). And yes, I know Aurum can see in the dark ad that there'll be a dim small light source down there but I can see people blundering about in the dark abit when you get there :).
Logged

Mr Teufel

  • Young Dragon
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 322
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »

Certainly Kiaphas will take a torch. And a spare one or two.

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »

The walk to the ruins takes a good fifteen to twenty minutes (that seems about right for the distance and the goins up and downhill) and eventualy the group arrive at the ruins. A torch is lit and they prepare to descend the ladder into the passage below. At the bottom of the ladder all is pretty much as they left it, a dim light and faint hum shine through the gap in the door (from the beam of light in the room beyond). The body of an acvolyte still lies face down just inside the doorway, his skull crushed by a hammer blow to the head.

Ivor is fascinated by the magical glow and, practicaly ignoring the body, he steps into the room to observe this strange magical phenomenon.

I'm going to be nice and assume someone brought Brother Lynden's drawing of Diamasin's star which says which gem went where.
Logged

Keeper

  • Administrator
  • Old Dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2607
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:09:54 AM »

"Here, lets just check against this diagram I brought with me from the abbey, which will tell us exactly where to put the gem."
Logged
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »

Kiaphas replaces the gem in it's socket and nothing noticable happens, although that's probably for the best really. All but Ivor are now ready to leave. The little gnome has not seen this place and marvels at the bright light, reaching out to touch it, then staying his hand momentarily.

Is anyone going to stop him?
Logged

Mr Teufel

  • Young Dragon
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 322
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »

F*ck, yeah!
"Don't do that, friend!" bellows Kiaphas, grabbing his arm away.

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »

"But the lights are so pretty," he says.
Logged

Custom_Hobby

  • Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8644
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:41:55 AM »

Aurum smiles and says "I was wondering what would happen. Anyway, did we put it in right? Do we know if it is working now? and what do these two do again?"
Logged

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »

When everyone finaly departs Ivor lingers a few moments more before scuttling off after the others. climbing the ladder first, Aurum and Kiaphas observe that the light from the beacon has changed from a shining silver to a sickly green. Halfway up the ladder Alarian's ascent is halted by a shriek of surprise from Ivor. Turning over his shoulder he sees that which cannot be true. The corpse of the acolyte has got the little gnome by the foot and will not let go. Raoul spies his friend in danger and his heart drops. How can he kill that which is already dead?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:26:08 PM by Balgin Stondraeg »
Logged

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:16 AM »

Round 1:

Quick as a flash Raoul draws his sword and, stepping up, slices down the the corpse savagely. His blade chops through it's shoulderblade and into it's back but still it persists. As Alarian drops from the ladder and draws his sword, Ivor attempts to make a break for it. Straining he sets his sights on the ladder and tries to break free. With a growling guttural sound (made even more bizarre by it's punctured lung), the zombie draws him back towards it, hauling his leg towards it's mouth and sinking it's teeth into the calf. Ivor screams and Aurum rapidly descends the ladder, axe in hand.
Logged

Balgin Stondraeg

  • Moderator
  • Very Old dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3342
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:36:28 AM »

Round 2
Still feeling the aches of his bout of unexpected wrestling some three or four hours earlier Raoul raises his sword. Puffing with the effort, he brings it crashing down on the creature's spine just below the ribs. His blade shears through it's bones and inner organs almost cutting the creature in twain. The life goes out of it's eyes and it slumps into a heap, releasing the frightened Ivor who dashes for the ladder but collapses after a few steps clutching at his gnawed leg.

The others breath a sigh of relief at the realisation that the battle is over. This respite is short lived, however, as Alarian realises that Rogan has been left behind at the abbey with over 20 dead bodies which might be doing exactly the same thing any moment now!

He doesn't voice this suspicion for a few seconds incase anyone else wants to realise it too :). Fight's over folks but I'm going to have to start a battle thread for Rogan and 22 zombies very soon :p.
Logged

Mr Teufel

  • Young Dragon
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 322
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:21:04 AM »

"Friends, I'm beginning to have serious fears for Rogan's safety," says Kiaphas. "Let's head back - now?

Keeper

  • Administrator
  • Old Dragon
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2607
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 05:53:11 AM »

"Sorry, monk, but no-one attacks Ivor and gets away with it.  I agree Kiaphas, Rogan may be in need of similar assistance! Let's get going!"
Logged
:hal:   

Custom_Hobby

  • Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8644
    • Custom Hobby
Re: Part 10: Return to the ruins
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »

"Aye my brother must have his hands full!" Aurum heads off to help his brother.
Logged