Custom Hobby Forum

• January 24, 2022, 11:53:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your friendly happy Custom Hobby Forum moderators are working tirelessly to keep our community free of inane and useless rabble.  Please stand by while we adjust settings to keep things friendly for our loyal contributors while preventing spam from littering our little corner of the Internet.  Thank you!  -- The Custom Hobby team

Author Topic: how do I go about building a TITAN for the Tau.  (Read 4834 times)

King_Doberman

• Contributors
  • Wyrmling
  • I am not just a dog I am a Doberman.
how do I go about building a TITAN for the Tau.
« on: December 06, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »

I think this is the right room to put it in but if its not please can you to move it.

SO how do I go about building a TITAN for the Tau.

so you know I don't have the fogest Idea on how to start this or even how a Tau Titan Should look :icon_scratch:.

I asked one my mates that has a huge Tau Army how he would make one look and he Said the Tau don't have TITANS at all. ( so you can see he was a lot of help LOL not.)

I have never EVER tryed doing nothing like this before.

I have some things I'd like to ask.

(1) how big should I make this Tau TITAN.  looking to use it at home and looking to use it in Apocalypse and I don't want it so big that he can not take it with him in a box.

(2) where do you get the sheets of thin plastic from.

(3) where do you get that fome card bord stuff.

(4) can you cut that thin plastic with a sharp knife of is it better to use a stanley knife.

(5) I have for got the name of that stuff you put can down when useing stanley knife.

(6) if you have tips on this then put them down. please.
I am not just a dog I am a Doberman.

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
Re: how do I go about building a TITAN for the Tau.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »

Welll.... by the book Tau don't have Titans (I think) but 40K always used to be about improvising and making stuff up, so why not?

Tau are very anime inspired so look at Japanese giant robot manga for some ideas. Put "gundam" into google and you should get some good inspiration.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

geronimo

• Global Moderator
  • Young Dragon
    • Fenris Games
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »

Just an idea....start off with a big robot toy and kitbash the hell out of it. Something like the new Transformers Bumblebee, or a RoboSapiens. Attack that with plasticard, kit parts, greenstuff/milliput and some imagination, and paint the result in Tau colours. By far the quickest,and, relatively, the cheapest - especially if you can find broken/damaged robots on eBay or at a car boot sale.....
Fenris Games
Too many ideas....way too little time...

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »

I agree with Fabian. Gundam, as well as Patlabor or other giant robots japanese things will help you find the right look. You can also get a look at those:

http://www.dp9.com/Products/HGBlitzGallery.htm

On the other hand, not all the races have titans in the WH40K universe. The Imperial Guard being the first: they have the Leviathan or Capitol Imperialis that are really castles on wheels and can outclass baneblades and such. The Adeptus Mechanicus has very similar mobile fortresses, with weapons that are more exotic. Finally, the squats have the most inventive replacements for titans: armored trains, armored zeppelins and mobile fortresses too like the colossus or cyclop.

So, even if the concept of a Tau Titan seems to be ok  - those guys seem to enjoy big robotic armors - maybe there are other options.

When the Imperator titan appeared in Epic, the orks had their mega gargants and I felt bad because I played eldar  and had nothing to put in front of such a threat. I tried to make a new eldar titan that could match the Imperator, and made something from a 40K dreadnought and towers from man'o'war elven ships. But I was never happy with the result, and today I realize it's because Eldars would probably not build such a thing. Maybe they would use a spaceship, or some warp-jumping antigrav fortress, but probably not a titan with an elven palace on its back...

So try to think of it...The Tau also like hovering tanks, and they have nice spaceships. maybe some kind of hovering fortress could fit too.

Medved

• man with the fluffy skates
  • Global Moderator
  • Young Adult Dragon
  • look at my fluffy skates!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »

GUNDAM!!!!!

seriously search for this stuff or mechs or things like that.  plasticard can be bought from modelzone or local hoby stores. you can cut it with scalpels (score it then snap it )or stanley knives.

just remember the more pressure you assert on it the better chance of injury!

foam card you  get from shops that sell r/c aeroplanes

the stuff to go underneath i presume is a cutting mat.  either art shops or GW are the best bet.

i'd look at building something that is at least 10 inches tall and like an oversized version of a battle suit

King_Doberman

• Contributors
  • Wyrmling
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:48:10 PM »

Them are some cool idea there thanks got me thinking.

how about this.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAR-WARS-EPISODE-2-REPUBLICAN-GUN-SHIP_W0QQitemZ190180797761QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50260QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was planing on taking all the SW weapons of it then putting 2 of the Tau HAMMERHEAD railgun weapons on top where the engines are. then I think two gun Drones a wing one on the top of the wing and one on the bottam of the wing. I think then I shall ad two of the burst cannon on the front.
I will all so have to ad about 4 / 6 engines from the Tau Tanks on there like 4 at the back and two at the front.

what do you all think.

I so like the look of this.
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/images/features/ships06/player_ships/m22t-Hutt-Gunship.jpg

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 07:59:30 PM »

I know someone you could pay to do all the work :icon_wink:

King_Doberman

• Contributors
  • Wyrmling
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 08:14:47 PM »

I know someone you could pay to do all the work :icon_wink:

do you take Metal as Payment.

I still have The smelly old man that Andy made he is still in his plastic bag not built up and is as new.

the last offer I got for him was £20.00 but then he said he did not want it this side of christmas.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »

I wish I could take metal as payment but right now I have to pay the bills and feed the kids :dragon: I just had to put it out there since I like the idea.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 03:48:06 AM »

Any advice I could offer has been said already, however, surely such a large vehicle as suggested would be a Tautan, not a Titan ;)
:hal:   

Fabian

• Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 04:52:07 PM »

Ouch!  :Doh!:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 01:44:19 AM »

TAU!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:56:26 AM by Chrysalis »

Fabian

• Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »

:Doh!: :Doh!: Double ouch!
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?

eyeolas

• Contributors
  • Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »

Look at the eldar titans and thing of them as huge battle suits. You can't go far wrong with a tau titan with that in mind

Inso

• Contributors
  • Very Young Dragon
  • Often misguided and misunderstood
    • Inso's Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »

If I was going to build a Tau Titan I would first decide how big it was going to be.  

Once I was decided on height I would have a look through e-bay and look for Macross, Robotech, Xabungle, Gundam, Patlabor and any other style of robot kit I could find.  

I would get an idea of which one most matched the height and style of what I was hoping to achieve and buy it.

Once I recieved it I would assemble the bits that I would be using and put it to one side.

I would probably go for something that closely resembled one of the existing Tau battle suits for a design and would start searching for the bits and pieces that I would need to add to the model kit.  This generally tends to be a very tactile phase with lots of looking at things from different angles.

Once I've got all the bits I need, I'd start adding them to the kit, allowing for small changes of design during the build process (for styling or realism).

When it is complete it would get a paintscheme to match the Tau army I had.

The good thing about the Tau is that they are very Manga/Anime in style and there are LOADS of Japanese mecha kits out there.  If you went for a 1/48 scale Battletech mech, they are about 12" tall and would be good enough for a small Knight Titan.  If you wanted to go taller you would have to start thinking about scratch building and that would mean a whole lot more work.  It really depends what you are after.

Also think about whether you want it to be bi-pedal.  How about a spider-titan or a six legged one?  Instead of a titan, why not a huge Drone or super heavy flyer of some sort?

No matter what you chose, remember that Tau have hooves and four digits on their hands so anything you build must bear this in mind.

When it comes to weapons, the Tau tanks have the larger sized weapons that you would need so buying a couple of those and using the weapons would be a good place to start.  Ther rest of the kit could go towards styling, jump-packs external details OR it could be build as an APC.

As the battle suits have 'bolt on' weapons, this is a style that you could transfer to your titan.

I could go on and on but I'll take a breath now :icon_w00t:.
Another Day Older; Another Day Closer To Death.

To while away a few moments, have a look at this:

http://insosworld.blogspot.com/