Custom Hobby Forum

• December 01, 2020, 10:47:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New probationary status for new members!  If you can't post to the normal forums, send a PM to a moderator!

Author Topic: Part 8: Mystery at the Tower  (Read 11357 times)

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
Part 8: Mystery at the Tower
« on: November 16, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »

Heading up the northern hill from the graveyard they reach the path that winds upwards to the tower. From here they can easily see the imposing structure rising high above the hilltop, the entire edifice being some 120' high. It is a circular tower made from a combination of an odd looking grey stone and granite. Three stained glass windows are arranged equaly around the top of the tower, capped by a domed roof. A single door provides access to the ground floor.

The tower looks strange and out of place, clashing strongly with the architectural style of the abbey and it's outhouses. Perhaps the ruins may once have looked like this.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:39:27 AM by Balgin Stondraeg »

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
Re: Part 8: Mystery at the Tower
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 09:44:57 AM »

Raul approaches the door of the tower to see if it is locked.  If it is unlocked, he'll proceed inside with weapons drawn.
:hal:   

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »

With the tower the unorthodox construction continues. There are no internal floors but the entire thing is hollow. Vast wooden pillars support a wooden spiral staircase that rises up to the ceiling far above. Each pillar bears brackets for torches and these contain unlit torches. A circular "flowerbed" with a raised rim in the middle of the floor holds a number of large crystal shards that seem to spring up from the earth like flames or inverted icicles. A matching set of crystal shards hangs down from the roof above like some slow dripping stalagtite or a predatory batlike thing that will swoop down upon you.

I believe the crystals at the top (and possibly the bottom too) are emitting a silvery glow at the moment but I'd need to check my notes for that.

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »

"I think we want Neadath with us. This looks to be wizard's work!" Kiaphas hesitates, looks around. "Oh, is our gnomish friend still with us? He's a wizardy sort."

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

Raul checks the raised 'flowerbed' to see if it contains any of the gemstones that we're looking for.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »

Raul checks the raised 'flowerbed' to see if it contains any of the gemstones that we're looking for.

None of the gems embedded in the floor would fit into the spaces in the chamber beneath the ruins.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »

Raul moves to the bottom of the stairs.

"I think we should at least look up there, first." says Raul.  "Anyone fancy covering my back as I go up?"

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »

Alarian grins and says, "Well, we have nothing to lose. Except maybe our lives." He chuckles, draws his sword and motions for Raul to continue.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 03:57:34 PM »

"Thanks Alarian.  You're not afraid of heights, are you?" Raul jokes as he starts up the stairs.

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »

"I do not fear much, Raul; my only concern with heights would be falling from them." he rejoinders as they climb the stairs.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

Mr Teufel

• Young Dragon
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 09:25:07 PM »

Kiaphas follows, trident ready.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 10:09:24 PM »

"I'm coming too." Aurum follows the group keeping an eye out behind us as well. Along the way Aurum studies everything he passes. OOC: Search & Spot checks if they apply

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »

Mounting the spiral staircase they travel upwards up the tall tower where a wooden platform goes around the edges. The three stained glass windows are easily visible from here and you could look out of them if you wanted to. The nearest window represents a robed man standing amongst a shower of gemstones set against a deep blue night sky. A little further around the walkway a robed man holds a bowl full of water and furthest away of all, a robed man bears a lute and looks as if he's about to play.

I checked the crystals. A beam of silvery light shines up from the crystals on the ground to those in the roof, providing illumination. That might only be at night 'though. There's no mention of any light in the tower;s description & notes. However, the adventure prologue/background stuff mentions the silver light of the beacon tower turning green when the attack on the monastery occurred and also the beacon's shining silver when the ship dropped you off at around 7 or 8 in the morning. So either it only shines at night and it was quite dark when it dropped you off, or it's on all the time. I reckon on all the time works best so we'll say there is a bright stream of silvery light flowing between the crystals in the floor and those in the roof.

I've been making stonecunning awareness (Search) checks for Aurum where appropriate but with the average dc being quite high, as in 20, and his search skill being at -1, he's not noticing many anomalies in stonework at the moment :(.

Custom_Hobby

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wyrm
    • Custom Hobby
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »

I've been making stonecunning awareness (Search) checks for Aurum where appropriate but with the average dc being quite high, as in 20, and his search skill being at -1, he's not noticing many anomalies in stonework at the moment :(.[/i]

Balgin Aurum gets +2 Racial bonus to notice unusual stonework due to his stone cunning and (think I mentioned) I switched to his draconic aura of senses which gives him a +1  on Listen, Spot, & Initiative srolls (thats how he searched so well in the abbey). That gives him a gross total +3, so net a +2. I hope that helps some.

Balgin Stondraeg

• Very Old dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 07:36:53 PM »

+1  on Listen, Spot, & Initiative

But not on search. That's okay, you missed acheck by +2 so I was humming and hahing over letting you think you spotted something odd then deciding it was nothing, but now I can just let you spot it on the way down again :). Do you realise that you had to make 3 stonecunning checks going up those stairs? :p I'll turn that 18 into a 20 on the way down then :).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up