Custom Hobby Forum

• November 30, 2021, 09:53:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Mission 1: The great escape  (Read 25293 times)

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
Mission 1: The great escape
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »

Having grown up as an outcast in Ralgron City, you have never been able to fit into normal society. During your turn to adulthood there was a massive outbreak as a new ruler came to the thrown, the controversial and already powerful son of the previous ruler came to power, by the name and title of the Baron Praxis, who felt it necessary upon reaching the thrown to enforce the laws of Ralgron City even tighter, and more importantly make some new ones, of which one was to capture and imprison any creatures in his ‘Haven’ city, and to do this he got citizens to enrolee in the new city guard, known as the crimson guard. When news of a new ruler reached outside the city walls, the dragons to the east, which had made a truce with the Baron’s father, became more ‘hostile’ to the new ruler, who was much less happy to avoid war, and to accept the dragon’s simple requests to have a peaceful relationship with the newly renamed Haven City. After a few warning attacks on the city from the dragons, the Baron started to realise who he was messing with, and soon happily came to a deal with the elder dragon to keep peace. During the next year you three, along with several others, were all tracked down and thrown into imprisonment. Throughout your long and painful stay you were all tested with new potions, and concoctions, which were unsafe to try on ‘pure’ people, which had ill effects on your health and have managed to eventually kill all of the dozen prisoners, except three. Slowly, news of corruption and desperate deals has reached you in prison, and you have heard of a secret group known as the underground who have just as much hatred for the new baron as you, and plans of escape have managed to synchronise between you three, and one on the outside, whom has contacted each of you individually through different means. Today is the day you would make or break it, today, you would get your lives back, and today you would start your war with the baron. Today you escape.

As day breaks, you each awake to the grey sell you have been inside for the past two years or so. Looking through the bars to your cells you can see the usual guard carrying three trays with the usual morning breakfast. He first goes to the N’nyarok’s cell, puts the trays down, rustles in his pocket and produces a large metal ring with three keys on it, and opens the door with one of them, slides the tray in and says “Wakey wakey, grub time!” in an arrogant fashion.

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
Re: Mission 1: The great escape
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »

Although this morning looks like any other morning, the guard could have guessed that things were different, simply by seeing N'nyarok's glance at him.

Most of the beasts can be tamed, given enough time. But N'nyarok doesn't belong to this kind. Two years for sure weren't enough to quiet his feral appetite. But they were enough to dull the cautiousness of the guard.

This morning, the guard had once more forgotten that he was entering the cage of a savage, carnivorous animal.

And today, the beast was waiting for him.

Just when the guard raises up his head, N'nyarok jumps at his throat, eager to plunge his numb fangs in human flesh. It's grub time!

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »

Well, you aren't proficient with unarmed, so the guard would get an attack of opportunity, but is flat footed (you suddenly are trying to maul him after all!). Yellow means OOC for the record

being non profficient does mean you get -4 to attack though, so you only get +6, but still hit conclusively with 1d20+6=24 which deals 1d2+5=6 non leathal damage.

(Do you have claws? it isn't on your sheet so I assumed you have the usual d2 damage)

Initiative:

N'nyarok: 1d20+3=20
Guard: 1d20+6=13

your turn again.

As you maul at the guard, you hear your fellow captives (in different cells obviously) start to chear you on.

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 04:06:51 PM »

Gnolls apparently don't have claws (nor real fangs, by the way). Maybe it was a 3.0 thing, but I thought it was 1D3 damage with bare hands...(although it's not that important). Another stupid question: wouldn't N'nyarok get extra attacks thanks to his combat reflexes feat?

Using his whole weight against the guard (is he human?), N'nyarok will begin a grapple. Although he would love to hear the jailer scream, he knows that he has to kill the guard silently if he doesn't want to sleep another night behind bars. Or worse.

So, closing his dirty gnoll hands around the jailer's neck, he will try to strangle him.

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:34 AM »

d3 if you have gauntlets, d2 without

The guard gets an attack to try an avoid the grapple, but misses horribly 1d20+5=9

you then make a touch attack to initiate, which you do 1d20+10=20

opposed strength checks

N'nyarok: 1d20+5=14
Guard: 1d20+1=2

That was very unexpected! Ok you got your grapple. Is there a disadvantage fro rolling 1 in the strength check for grapples?

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 03:26:40 AM »

N'nyarok has a rabid spark in his eyes as he firmly tightens his grip on the guard's throat. His thirst for blood is made greater by the enthousiast chearing coming from the other cells, but a sudden flash of reason comes to the gnoll's brain:

Stupids, stupids! Too much noise! Other puny guards come when too much noise!!!

Somehow panicked, N'nyarok will begin to hit violently (power attack +5) the wall/ground/bars, whatever is available, with the back of the head of the guard. Although he loses the strangling grip, he wants to end the fight as quickly as he can (although he was really enjoying it...).

I had troubles finding rules about strangling and opponent, but the few I found seem to say that a grapple check is needed first (done) and then you use the drowning rules. Yes, this takes a lot of time to strangle somebody, so we'll try something else...As for doing 1 on the strength check, I don't think it has other consequences but looking very weak to the eyes of a gnoll, which is never a good thing :)

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:43:08 AM »

Ok, I log on this morning to find my post last night didn't post so I'll sum up what I did to keap it fair

Right, I made opposed strength checks with N'nyarok getting -5 due to power attack (canceling his +5 str) and he still won by 5, meaning 3 damage (I decided wining by 1 is 1, 2 is 2, 4 is 3, 6 is 4 etc) plus 5 for power attack. He's taken 14 non leathal so far.

The guard then loosed your grip on his neak and shoved you back, called for the help and drew his sword

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:14 AM »

N'nyarok grins at the sword...with envy! It's a long time since he last held a weapon, and the idea of slashing human flesh with a sharp edge pleases him.

Foam at the mouth and howling with rage, he'll try to disarm the guard, confident in his - obvious - physical superiority.

Keeper

• Administrator
  • Old Dragon
    • Keeper's CheddarMonger Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 05:51:34 AM »

Stormy has been watching this confrontation with interest, wondering if this is what the message meant.  She's been so weak for so long, but this morning, she feels she could use her ancestral powers again, if she tries.  She readies herself to use her blast for the first time in a long time, should another guard arrive.
:hal:   

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:36:10 PM »

Keeper: No you won't. Anti magic fields. The guards had you sorted :P

Having to show every die roll really limits descriptions of attacks so I'll scrud* that idea.

As you reach for the weapon, the guard takes a defencive step back and thrusts his sword into your side, graing you minorly (4 damage), and you retreat slightly to regroup. The guard takes a step foreward again and takes a second thrust at you, but this time you manage to swirve your body out of the way so he misses you to the side.

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:25:42 PM »

Ignoring the cut in his side, N'nyarok will once more try to grab the guard's blade.

Who's in the cell in front of mine? Could N'nyarok notice if this prisoner has interest in the fight?

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »

You lunge foreward at the guard, but once again he manages to push you back with a slash of his sword, dealing 6 points of damage. Noticing a weakness foramoment, the guard slashes again, and deals you another 4 damage

This isn't working

No one is in the cell next to you, they have al died, and you three are the only ones still alive.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 02:21:08 PM by eyeolas »

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 04:10:18 AM »

N'nyarok considers the wounds in his chest, and feels annoyed, angry, and hungry. Clenching his fists, he will launch an enraged attack at the guard, with an idea slowly making its way in his mind: if he doesn't get rid of this human, he will be dead before noon.

I suppose there is nothing in the cell that could be used as a weapon. What about the doorway? Is there furniture, torches?

Fabian

• Chief of the Oak Priests
  • Inner Circle
  • Adult Dragon
    • My Cheddarmongers gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 05:14:59 AM »

Six contemplates his cell with his usual air of annoyance... maybe he should call himself Four now that the other prisoners had died? No, Six he was and Six he would be. The guard arrives. Detestable oaf.

Violence. The beast has snapped. Poorly executed. Nothing to do but wait for the outcome. He studies the guard (death attack study, if applicable) as he fights the gnoll, noting openings and weaknesses. If the gnoll fell, it was unlikely the rest would be fed. Starved as punishment. Ridiculous.

If the gnoll wins, offer him help. Dispose of him if he becomes a hindrance. Yes.

I don't suppose these doors will fall to a few well placed kicks on my part? Otherwise he'd have been out of here before.
The questions we should be asking are these:
Does it have dungeons?
Does it have dragons?
Does it have transients who kill things for money?  Do you roll a d20?

eyeolas

• Juvenile Dragon
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 07:31:21 AM »

Maybe the tray if you can get to it, but that would be used in exactly the same way as your fists so it is a bit pointless.

As you throw a wild blow at the guard, he swings his sword wildly back at you, this time missing your arm and turning around to kut his own neck, dealing 6 points of damage. The punch then strikes true and deals him another 6 non lethal, knocking him to the ground unconciouse.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up