Custom Hobby Forum

• September 24, 2022, 01:42:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maintenance!  I'm working on optimizing and updating the site, so you may see some wonky things!

Author Topic: Duel Rules  (Read 1395 times)

S1ND3X

• RPG Guild
  • Very Young Dragon
Duel Rules
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:31:16 PM »

okay, let's thrash some ideas around
first off the bat i like the idea of a system that rather than dealing any damage you essentially look to foce your opponent int a corner orover a cliff or trp them and get them into a vulnerable position allowing you to deliver the killing blow

also i imagine a combat system that plays not unlike and expanded version of rock paper scissors so different combat strategies, saying dodging, defending, making cautious strikes, going all out would when compared to your opponents choice create different outcomes, such as going all out would possibly lead to your both dying or a good chance thereof, you both defending would allow you to move slowly round each other, a cautious strike would allow you to retain a moderate defence and a dodge would allow you to get right out of the way, possibly even leave combat

okay, thoughts?
Seraphon Productions
Oils, Pencils and Putties, drop in and have a browse

Chrysalis

• Contributors
  • Young Dragon
Re: Duel Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:34:26 AM »

Being a huge fan of Street Fighter, I've been thinking about a duel system for quite a long time. My idea would be to use an area with squares, just like this one:

The squares are 4cm x 4cm, and I made a ring, but you can imagine other kinds of terrain.

Then, I don't think using dices would be such a good thing, because I don't want things to go at random. However, a little random never hurts, so I thought I could use cards. Every fighter could have his own personalized deck, with generic blows, but also moves, jumps, block, etc. Special attacks too. Each player would drow a card from his deck each turn, but couldn't have more than 5 (or 6?) in his hand at the end of the turn. Basically, only one card could be played during the player's turn, but we can of course imagine combos (move+attack), and block or dodge could be played during the other player turn.

Of course those are only the basics, but I think it could work...

Bodhi

• Global Moderator
  • Adult Dragon
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:02:20 AM »

I like the idea of cards but when producing such a game it's a cost issue. Not the printing of cards as such but they need to look good! So it would involve plenty of illustration/design work and the illustrator has to be paid.
Apart from that (which would anyway be a much much later issue) I'm all for cards.

What could be really innovative though (and cheap  :icon_wink:) is a game that is like an advanced updated version of Chess. No cards, no dice, just rules for the possible moves and attacks for each unit. That would make it a pure strategy game totally devoid of luck and chance. Could be interesting and certainly fresh.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:05:31 AM by Bodhi »
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

S1ND3X

• RPG Guild
  • Very Young Dragon
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:35:17 AM »

personally i prefer an elment of random chane, not so much as you get in other games but i like it to be there, it allows a game to go beyond pure strategy and allow for the occasional heroic event, the small guy slaying the huge giant for example

cards i am not sure about, perhaps there could be cards you draw for certain special types of attack, event, action or spell that you can then play on characters to allow them to do some truly insane things (massive jumps, attacking multiple enemies, energy rays, random deadfall from some trees)

squares i don't like the idea of, i much prefer the freedom of movement and terrain building and the ease of setting up of a non squared arena

with regards to cost of the cards they (like the rulebook) could initially be done in pdf format and people could print them out, i shall have a fiddle with some photoshop ideas for basic card layouts
Seraphon Productions
Oils, Pencils and Putties, drop in and have a browse

Bungle

• Thats "Mr" to you
  • Global Moderator
  • Mature Adult dragon
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:57:20 AM »

Cards could work...  print your own.

have one deck. each player gets dealt say 8 cards.

they select 3 and discard the rest.

they three they select can be from attack defence and move and these are compared to the opponents cards, in the order they are played.

Attack attack attack against defence defence defence.. equals no damge

attack/attack/attack against defence/defence/ attack leaves both players with 1 damge and dealt 1 less card the next turn.

attack/defence/attack against Move/defence/attack would move the second player out of range of attacks from the first, but able to attack himself if armed with a long weapon such as a spear.

Its sort of paper scissor stone, but a bit of strategy in it too.  Move/move would put the players out of combat range.

move card could have forwards left right back etc.... attack cards could be attack 2 /defence 1 - attack 3/defence 0 - attack 1/defence 2 - defence 3/attack 0 etc..

damage just reduces the number of cards you get dealt.

move 0 could be used to, turns to face could be free.