News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Main Menu

Snow effect stuff

Started by Perv, March 20, 2008, 10:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perv

so I bought this stuff



anyone have any tips on what to do with it? Anyone used before?

Theomar Pius

My only advice with snow is you have to dust it a lot, to keep the snow clean and white.

dargrin

Quote from: Theomar Pius on March 20, 2008, 12:33:19 PM
My only advice with snow is you have to dust it a lot, to keep the snow clean and white.

Just like 'real' snow.  :icon_wink: The other option is get a figure case. 

Back on topic...

I have not use snow extestively but it depends how much ground cover you want. I.e deep snow or just a dusting.
Long term exposure to the Orb of Confusion will give you...er.. confusion!

I invite you to my dot on the web: http://www.darkgrinminiatures.com

Theomar Pius

Is that stuff a powder? a paste?
I've used 3 things for snow:
GW snow flock: worked great, very tough to keep clean, Wouldn't use it again.
Plaster, or spackle: Worked like a champ for covering flat ground. Works well fo footprints and such, tough to work with though because of fingerprints. You have to be brave, because if you mess up, your project is essentially ruined.
Anything with baking soda: bad idea, it picks up smells and yellows quite quickly.

Perv

Its a paste and says spread on with a brush, knife or sponge, dries in 2-6 hours.......Sprinkle on Glamour dust for a sparkling effect, whatever that stuf is but sounds handy......

I have a feeling I will balls up the first atempt so wil use on a test piece. Just wondered if there were any trcks or methods to get it looking right.  Its for snow capping my peaks, sounds dirty lol

No list of ingredients though :(

I'l give it a go and see what happens.....

Theomar Pius

keep some water handy for smoothing out fingerprints and such.

cheddarmonger

Huh; I've been using baking soda for snow bases for quite a while.  Here's my technique:
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/cheap_and_easy_snow_bases

I haven't seen them yellow yet.  Hope they don't start stinking!
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Theomar Pius

Quote from: cheddarmonger on March 20, 2008, 05:46:27 PM
Huh; I've been using baking soda for snow bases for quite a while.  Here's my technique:
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/cheap_and_easy_snow_bases

I haven't seen them yellow yet.  Hope they don't start stinking!

Hmm, I've certainly had the trouble, that is afterall what the baking soda is for, absorbing odors and such.
Did you use it in large scale project? mine was a LOT, on a 1/48 diorama with two P-51's, when I was in high school. Needless to say, it's not around any more.

cheddarmonger

Nope, just snow on bases.  These are the largest:




I've got to take new pictures of those!
Nevermind me, I have a cruddy banner, so please click HERE for Cheddarmongers!

Agentmolar

Funny isnt it how naughty dentists always make their one fatal mistake.
Bye for now, keep your teeth clean
www.dentalserenity.com.au

Perv

Thanks a lot everyone.  This paste I have seems to be a bit thicker than what I can see in your pics and those tutorials so I'd better thin it down a bit with water first.  That should make it easier to smooth as well. I may sprinkle polystyrene over the top, depends on what it looks like first.  Where you cut polystyrene with a saw it makes a really fine dust which would be ideal I think...........

Will do piccies as soon as I can.  I will use a butter knife to apply it so no fingerprints, will be better using a stiff object rather than a brush which flexes I think