News:

Moving and shaking!  We're back to http://www.customhobby.com/forum -- you may need to log out and log back in again to enjoy the new settings!

Main Menu

First paintjob

Started by Bodhi, January 26, 2008, 09:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

personally I don't like vallejo metals.

what can you get locally?

GW tin bitz is a nice dark mucky metal, chainmail and silver for final highlights

Bodhi

Quote from: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 09:55:21 AM


what can you get locally?


Dunno yet. I know I can get GW and Vallejo but if I get a good brandname I could allways ask around in the hobby shops and see what gives.
Allways treat other people as the goal,not as the means.
Immanuel Kant.

Caerban

I prefer the Miniature Paints metallics to GW, the chainmail is particularly good. I've got a VMC copper but I've not used it yet.
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." - Groucho Marx

Dr.Evil

You need silver for edges and such and where the metal shines through the rust.  :icon_wink:
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Keeper

Whilst I would recommend getting some new metallic paints, you do know that so long as they've not totally dried out, acrylics like these can be revived really quite well by the addition of water.  Its best just to add a tiny little bit at a time, give it a good shake, then come back to it later and see if it needs any more, but I've "revived" more than one pot of dying citadel and GW paints this way.
:hal:   

Dr.Evil

Quote from: keeper40k on January 28, 2008, 05:52:16 AM
Whilst I would recommend getting some new metallic paints, you do know that so long as they've not totally dried out, acrylics like these can be revived really quite well by the addition of water.  Its best just to add a tiny little bit at a time, give it a good shake, then come back to it later and see if it needs any more, but I've "revived" more than one pot of dying citadel and GW paints this way.

And a drop of flow enhancer would help too.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Perv

Quote from: Wristaction on January 28, 2008, 08:11:43 AM

And a drop of flow enhancer would help too.


Works much better than just water alone.  After my paints almost completely dried up I put a mix of water and Daler Rowney flow enhancer in the pots to revive, better than new now !!!

Dr.Evil

If you have one of those paint shakers or made one, it would help as well.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction


Hawkins

for an 8 year hiatus, its great! wish i had a camera, been painting tons of stuff for others and no way to document it before they leaves my hands.

:clap2: keep it up cant wait to see your next one:)
I'll be in my bunk.

Dr.Evil

Slightly off topic but for a cheep half decent starting off camera, I used and still have a Fujifilm Finepix 2600Zoom and you can get them cheep 2nd hand on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUJIFILM-FINEPIX-2600ZOOM-3X-OPTICAL-ZOOM-2-MEGA-PIXELS_W0QQitemZ220207775956QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£12.00 is a very good price for it for.  :icon_wink:

I'm not selling it and I still use mine at times so I'm keeping mine.
Click here to see more of my painted stuff.
http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/wristaction