Custom Hobby Forum

Commercial Corner => New Releases => Topic started by: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 05:14:30 PM

Title: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 05:14:30 PM
First item in our new range of 28mm-scaled modern street furniture. Cast in clear urethane resin, supplied with vinyl masks for easy painting. Posted here first as you guys seem gentler than most ;)

(http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/geronimojones/phonebox.jpg)
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Bungle on June 21, 2007, 05:16:58 PM
How much and where do I order?
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: gi6ers on June 21, 2007, 05:20:14 PM
Vinyl masks? Wassat?

What else you got? These look great by the way...
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 05:22:01 PM
...and our newest range of 25mm vaccuum-cast resin bases for modern/post-apocalyptic minis... top pic standard bases, lower pic "topper" style for warmachine/display bases...

(http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/geronimojones/PAstandard2.jpg)

(http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j4/geronimojones/PAtoppers2.jpg)

EDITed for better closeups - linked the wrong pics first time round.
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: gi6ers on June 21, 2007, 05:26:10 PM
The "Topper" bases are really cool.

Quote from: Bungle on June 21, 2007, 05:16:58 PM
How much and where do I order?

Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: gi6ers on June 21, 2007, 05:20:14 PM
Vinyl masks? Wassat?

What else you got? These look great by the way...

The masters for the phonebox are laser-milled - so the smallest side windows are approx 1mm by 2.5mm in size. Masking those out would be a pain in the rump; so we'll supply a couple of sets of pre-cut masks in vinyl sheet to make spray-painting a whole lot easier. (You can see a set of masks applied to the unpainted casting on the left - the darker rectangles).

Haven't fixed the price yet - waiting on final costings - but will probably be selling them in packs of two via our eBay store. PM me for a link :)
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Dr.Evil on June 21, 2007, 05:34:13 PM
Will you be doing the older style Police Box as well.
Got a feeling that it would sell as well.  :icon_wink:

Quote from: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 05:28:54 PM
Haven't fixed the price yet - waiting on final costings - but will probably be selling them in packs of two via our eBay store. PM me for a link :)

Post a link here so if a Guest wants to know then they can follow the link.
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 05:41:29 PM
Quote from: Wristaction on June 21, 2007, 05:34:13 PM
Will you be doing the older style Police Box as well.
Got a feeling that it would sell as well.  :icon_wink:

Post a link here so if a Guest wants to know then they can follow the link.

Funnily enough, everyone in the workshop has suggested a certain style of blue Police Box. Can't imagine why :)

Wasn't sure re the regs for posting links to self-promo stuff. As soon as the new stuff's listed (probably this weekend) I'll update this thread with a linky.

Feel free to give me a to-do list here,too. Got lots in the pipeline but there's bound to be something we've missed. Litter bins, skips, mailboxes, lamposts, belisha beacons, security cameras, wheelie bins, bus shelters, the list could well be endless....
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 21, 2007, 05:50:59 PM
I like everything you put up!  :clap2: Let us know once you have set the final prices.

Feel free to post links. When in doubt just listen to the global mods (purple stars mean they are always right :icon_wink:)
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Bungle on June 21, 2007, 05:58:46 PM
Just remember there are about 5 sorts of Police phone boxes.

The BBC has the trademark image rights to one. The metropolitan Police box

they don't on any of the others.. and the light on top is the only difference.

A mate of mine own most of the ones on public streets (nearly all in Glasgow) base yours on glasgow ones and you will have no problem (oh BTW they are painted red if you want to advertise it as a Glasgow police box)
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 06:05:16 PM
Link to our eBay shop now posted in the classifieds section :)

And yeah,I was aware there were a few variants on the blue police box. As there are for the classic red phonebox. Didn't want to go too far down the route of producing every last variant of the latter as that would be just a little bit *too* anoraky ;)

At some point I'll have to pester those of you based Stateside for dimensions of US versions of mailboxes, phoneboxes, etc. Google images is fine for pics, but proper dims or technical specs are better from an accuracy point of view...
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Perv on June 21, 2007, 08:10:04 PM
Those bases are fantastic, lemme at em, lemme at em !!!

I will be ordering after the weekend mate  :icon_razz:

Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 21, 2007, 08:57:35 PM
Quote from: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 06:05:16 PM
At some point I'll have to pester those of you based Stateside for dimensions of US versions of mailboxes, phoneboxes, etc. Google images is fine for pics, but proper dims or technical specs are better from an accuracy point of view...

Just let me know when you will need the measurements.
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Agentmolar on June 21, 2007, 10:35:31 PM
Great idea masking it out. They look great. Very excited by your releases. Good luck with your venture
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Keeper on June 22, 2007, 03:37:26 AM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on June 21, 2007, 08:57:35 PM
Quote from: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 06:05:16 PM
At some point I'll have to pester those of you based Stateside for dimensions of US versions of mailboxes, phoneboxes, etc. Google images is fine for pics, but proper dims or technical specs are better from an accuracy point of view...

Just let me know when you will need the measurements.

Now why do I have a picture of you in my head, out on the street explaining to an officer of the law exactly what you're trying to do with a tape measure and a post box? :laughing1:

:police:  :icon_angel:

BOnT: Your ebay store looks great, geronimo!  I think I shall have to come back and visit after I get paid.  Duly bookmarked!
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Bungle on June 22, 2007, 03:41:29 AM
Quote from: geronimo on June 21, 2007, 06:05:16 PM
Didn't want to go too far down the route of producing every last variant of the latter as that would be just a little bit *too* anoraky ;)

Just do the Glasgow one that is very similar... most gamers won't notice, but it protects you.

I do have a brass kit of one sitting here waiting to be made in 40mm
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 22, 2007, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: keeper40k on June 22, 2007, 03:37:26 AM
Now why do I have a picture of you in my head, out on the street explaining to an officer of the law exactly what you're trying to do with a tape measure and a post box? :laughing1:

:police:  :icon_angel:

Because that is probably how it will work out :icon_wink:
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Perv on June 22, 2007, 09:14:32 AM
Tell the officer that you're just checking to see if its big enough for you to quickly change into your superhero costume when needed  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 22, 2007, 09:25:18 AM
Then I might end up in one of those nice white jackets and carted off to a padded room.

Back on topic: @Geronimo  you also do brass etching?
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 22, 2007, 01:01:05 PM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on June 22, 2007, 09:25:18 AM
Back on topic: @Geronimo  you also do brass etching?

Unfortunately not - we source it out ourselves. I have looked into putting standardised sheets of etched brass details (plants, railings, mesh,etc) onto our eBay store but can't really do so at a price low enough to be competitive and to also make enough to cover eBay and PayPal's fees,let alone profit! We do rotate stock on the store to try things out so there may be etched brass in the future; and we are definately looking at our own range of "standard" brass sheets for things like roadsigns, SF panelling and the like. And if you can't find a reliable local supplier of custom brass etchings I'll be happy to pass on details.

WHat we are in the process of trying to figure out, though, is a way of offering a bespoke laser cutting service, as this can be used to produce very fine details of similar quality ot brass etching. The phonebox above was all cut and engraved on our laser, in thicknesses of 0.25 and 0.5mm acrylic, so that should give some idea of the fineness achievable. Basically, though, if you can produce CAD files we can produce acrylic cut pieces in 2.5 dimensions, up to approx 6mm thickness sheet (though we are looking at a newer, bigger, whizzier laser that will allow us up to about 25mm acrylic :O ). When I get chance I'll try and post a new thread with details. Also something with regard to casting, if you're still interested Mike....
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Bungle on June 22, 2007, 01:02:26 PM
Are the resin doorways sourced?

or just done in a similar way to some that I have from a long time ago.
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 22, 2007, 01:04:29 PM
Quote from: Bungle on June 22, 2007, 01:02:26 PM
Are the resin doorways sourced?

or just done in a similar way to some that I have from a long time ago.

The not-Space Hulk doors? Nope, I made those on our laser, and they're cast in our vaccuum machine :) But I have seen other eBay sellers selling a few of our bits, so perhaps you got those....
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Bungle on June 22, 2007, 01:27:49 PM
No the egyptian stuff

the doors look original but similar to the old grendel ones.

The statues look similar too.

were you influenced by them? Do they match in in size?
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Bungle on June 22, 2007, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: geronimo on June 22, 2007, 01:44:49 PM
Ahh,right. They *are* the old Grendel stuff. The guy who sculpted them - Alan Simpson - is an old mate and kindly donated all the original masters to us. So our versions are as sharp as the originals and hopefully cheaper :)

Alan is also in the process of sculpting a whole new range of stuff for us. Suggestions always welcome !

Are they? has he changed them a bit, because they look slightly different? ( or is it just my addled brain)

I love them because they are non scale specific and work great with 15mm as well.

( I bought mine wholesale is a stock clearance.. very cheap  :icon_suspicious: )

Suggestions... hmmmm loads of stuff but what would sell? ....... 30mm high easter island head?

Sci fi ruins/ alternate mythology.. but they probabaly wouldn't sell.  :shrug:
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 22, 2007, 02:04:44 PM
Easter Island (ish) statues are on the drawing board. I;ve also sketched up a Runequest troll tribal stone head for sometime when there's a gap in the schedule :)
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Perv on June 22, 2007, 02:28:34 PM
Being a Dwarf collector I only really look at Dwarfy stuff.  GW used to do a Dwarf Stronhold resin piece and this always seems to sell well on Ebay.  I dont think it was a large a piece either, I'll try to find a pic of it.  I've tried many times to find an entrance to a Dwarf Fortress, with a big door and pillars either side etc but nowhere seems to do one....

would you believe it, theres one on Ebay at the mo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-OOP-Warhammer-Dwarf-Stronghold-Terrain-Piece_W0QQitemZ320128140153QQihZ011QQcategoryZ7389QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 22, 2007, 03:06:57 PM
I am still interested in the resin casting services you offer and I will send you a Pm during the weekend regarding it.
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: geronimo on June 23, 2007, 04:12:10 AM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on June 22, 2007, 03:06:57 PM
I am still interested in the resin casting services you offer and I will send you a Pm during the weekend regarding it.

Cool,no worries.

Back On topic: phonebox and post-apoc bases are now listed in our eBay store. 10/12 standard/topper bases at £2.99 a set, phoneboxes £4.99 a pair (unfortunately the nature of clearcast resin means a more labour-intensive production process).
Title: Re: Testing the water...
Post by: Perv on June 23, 2007, 06:16:36 AM
I'll keep checking to see whats ya got  :icon_razz: