Custom Hobby Forum

Commercial Corner => New Releases => Topic started by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 21, 2007, 10:48:58 AM

Title: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 21, 2007, 10:48:58 AM
Behold how crud* this Rackham Dwarven Wizard (http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=161&ref=UKNAMA01&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=10) used to be. He had flat modelism, he had a stupid gravity defying topknot and he looked crud*.

Now they've finaly released the new version (http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=798&ref=FRNAMA03&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=10) and he looks ever so slightly better. In keeping with their more recent dwarfs he actualy has a moustache, his pose is more natural and he still looks crud* (but nowhere near as bad as the old version). Hopefuly they'll revamp the entire dwarf range (since the best value for points models in the entire force are also the first unit they ever did for them and it's like Pacman on legs (http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=154&ref=UKNAEL02&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=10)).
Title: Re: Marginaly less crud* than before
Post by: gi6ers on May 21, 2007, 11:07:34 AM
Yup, still a bit crud*, here's hoping the guys at enigma release more dwarves as the one they did recently was great!
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Fabian on May 21, 2007, 02:05:04 PM
Oh dear, I'm sorry, I think the second one is worse! He looks like someone who's had his head inflated in a cartoon!
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Bruenor Odinson on May 21, 2007, 04:36:19 PM
Sorry but I think that both are rubbish*e, def' heads with arms and legs range.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Bodhi on May 21, 2007, 05:05:55 PM
Heh. And I like them both  :icon_razz:
I stopped seeing Confrontation as anything remotely resembling realistic ranges long ago. So I put them in the mental box called "Cartoon and Asterix and Obelix figures". In that little mental box I think the confrontation dwarfs are great, as are their goblins. Problem with confrontation is they can't make their minds up. With dwarfs and goblins like these the human factions should really look more cartoony in order to fit together with the dwarfs and gobbos. But there they suddenly change styles and try to follow some sort of Moebius/Enki Bilal "Ligne claire" (spelling?) tradition in french comics instead. Which makes the factions seriously mismatched.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: alrith72 on May 21, 2007, 05:07:13 PM
Quote from: bruenor on May 21, 2007, 04:36:19 PM
Sorry but I think that both are rubbish

couldn't agree more!
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: gi6ers on May 21, 2007, 05:08:03 PM
I love the goblin and evil dwarves from Rackham. Don't own any but the style appeals
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 21, 2007, 07:06:10 PM
QuoteI think the second one is worse

You're kidding, right? They're both rubbish but the second one's a tiny little bit less poo than the first.

QuoteHe looks like someone who's had his head inflated in a cartoon!

All the Rackham dwarfs look like that. I geuss they're just a bunch of druggies at that company.

QuoteI stopped seeing Confrontation as anything remotely resembling realistic ranges long ago. So I put them in the mental box called "Cartoon and Asterix and Obelix figures".

I couldn't agree with you more. The game plays pretty cartoony in a way too (really badly imbalanced) and yet apparently it's really popular (in France) and yet a load of stupid people keep telling me that Rackham miniatures are better than anything else (but they fall silent when I point out how rubbish* all the cartoony dwarfs, wolfmen and genarl non elf stuff of theirs is).

QuoteWith dwarfs and goblins like these the human factions should really look more cartoony in order to fit together with the dwarfs and gobbos.

Yep, as I've written elsewhere, it's like they've got racism kingrained into the style of the sculpts as well as the rules of the game :(.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: fear_the_squirrels on May 21, 2007, 07:55:44 PM
Quote from: Balgin Stondraeg on May 21, 2007, 07:06:10 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. The game plays pretty cartoony in a way too (really badly imbalanced) and yet apparently it's really popular (in France) and yet a load of stupid people keep telling me that Rackham miniatures are better than anything else (but they fall silent when I point out how rubbish* all the cartoony dwarfs, wolfmen and genarl non elf stuff of theirs is).

The wolfen are pretty nifty in my opinion, and in fact the Devourers (S&M Wolfmen) got me to begin buying their sculpts.  But its opinion.

The off balanced rules though strike me as odd.  Its no more or less balanced then any other game I've seen.  All the armies have pretty powerful lists you can build for them. 

-TOC
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Alex on May 21, 2007, 08:10:30 PM
I really don't like Rackham dwarves. Maybe they're okay if viewed through Bodhi's cartoon-coloured glasses, but even so, they just don't look like anything I'd shell out actual money for. If they came in a cereal box, I'd maybe find a use for them, but even that's unlikely.

It's probably because I'm a shortarse myself- I prefer seeing actual heroic-looking dwarves, more like Kev's range- "Short Angry Miniature Buyer's Syndrome", I think the medical term is!
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 21, 2007, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2007, 08:10:30 PM
I really don't like Rackham dwarves.

That's because they're not dwarfs. They're giant pumpkin headed hobbit french resistance fighters with really rubbish looking oversized weapons (even 'though the game background says they make the best weapons in the world, but clearly don't use them if the sculpts are anything to go by).

I think my favourite dwarfs at the moment are GW's LOTR dwarfs, Klocke's dwarfs for Reaper (so "good" you could almost hide them in warhammer units) and some of Kev's dwarfs (I don't like a few of them).
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: S1ND3X on May 21, 2007, 09:37:42 PM
looks like they fixed the crud* of the previous one, sword, hair pose etc
but added in new crud*, massive head and such
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Alex on May 21, 2007, 09:56:15 PM
Yeah, the LotR dwarves are rather nice; not seen the reaper ones though. I quite like the look of the Vendel dwarves, too, though I've no idea how they'd fit with anything else.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 21, 2007, 10:51:29 PM
Ok so Rackham just replaced old crud* with new crud*. They don't work for me but then again I am sure there are people who love them. It all comes down to personal taste.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 21, 2007, 11:07:13 PM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on May 21, 2007, 10:51:29 PM
Ok so Rackham just replaced old crud* with new crud*. They don't work for me but then again I am sure there are people who love them.

Yeah, whatever demented fudge*wit they got to sculpt the things in the first place (have you seen how cartoony their dwarf concept art is? It's just like the final sculpts only with more extreme proportions and even bigger mouths).

QuoteIt all comes down to personal taste.

Correction, remove the word personal from that sentence. If you have any taste at all you willd etest these pieces of detritus.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Dr.Evil on May 22, 2007, 09:06:39 AM
There like marmite, you either love them or hate them.  :icon_sick:

I don't hate them as that's too strong a word, they just don't appeal to me at all, the only hobby shop where i live has the range in and  i had a look but not my taste at all.
Title: Re: Marginaly less rubbish than before
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 22, 2007, 10:43:56 AM
There's got to be a reason why it#s so bad. Oh wait, there is: they made it!