Custom Hobby Forum

Commercial Corner => New Releases => Topic started by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 03:05:44 PM

Title: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 03:05:44 PM
One hell of a Minotaur from our french friends:

(http://www.rackham.fr/newsletter/cry_online/img35/archonte_Faathi_05.jpg)
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 03:58:26 PM
Wow. Kind of top heavy but still... wow.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: gi6ers on May 16, 2007, 04:01:14 PM
I actually quite like the female they brought out recently but this is poo! Too fiddly and top heavy, I like it from the neck up.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 04:01:50 PM
It will be expensive but I am already thinking of buying two. One to paint up as is and another to do a conversion with.

It is a nice figure but would have been amazing if they made the lower half more muscular. Looking at the main pic I wonder how it stands.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 04:15:02 PM
It would be fantastic if the bottom half matched the top for size, it's a shame as he'd make a fantastic demon lord.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 04:27:49 PM
Perfect for Baphomet
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: cheddarmonger on May 16, 2007, 04:35:27 PM
Bah.

Its fierce, but it looks kinda like an overly ornate MageKnight piece to me.

I'm not diggin the carved in "freehand," although I think I see what they're trying to accomplish.  With all the texture and color-in-the-lines, it looks like it would be easier for an average painter to do something approaching that fantasticly whimsical freehand you see on most pro-painted rackham things.

I still prefer Manbane.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Bodhi on May 16, 2007, 04:53:34 PM
Topheavy suits fine with the comicbook style of most Rackham figures. So it should fit in with the rest of the range. It's very well sculpted as usual but a bit to elaborative (as usual...) my main problem is the faces AND patterns on the shoulderplates. They should have decide on either patterns OR faces in my opinion. Both just looks a bit indecisive and cluttered to me.
Lovely expression and face though.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 05:24:21 PM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 04:27:49 PM
Perfect for Baphomet

Exactimundo.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 16, 2007, 06:01:16 PM
Wow, the weapon ehad's less exessively huge than their normal cartoony bullrubbish* ratio. It's too topheavy but less so than their normal crud*. Maybe they're listening to people and finaly improving their style after all (I mean, think about it, their recent dwarfs have smaller heads, moustaches and hair so they seem to be sorting the crud* out a bit).

No more "demented Pacman with stubby little arms and legs and astrap on goatee wielding a sword the size of a car". Now they seem to be improving their "huge chunky bits with tiny little conencting bits that look too weak to take the strain" style into a "not quite so huge but still very chunky bits with tiny little connecting bits" style. So they may be headed in the right direction (although that's highly unlikely).
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Bungle on May 16, 2007, 06:11:10 PM
A free hand face would have looked better

I don't have any rackham figures.... and nice as this is in sculpting ability, it won't encourage me to get this one.

PS  I can't say Bullrubbish*.. but can I say dung?
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 06:16:06 PM
Quote from: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 05:24:21 PM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 04:27:49 PM
Perfect for Baphomet

Exactimundo.

After all those years of D&D I had to remember something :icon_wink:

By the way what do you they sculpt their figures out of?
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 06:32:43 PM
ah, but what layer of the Abyss does he live on? (and I can't actually remember myself, now)

I believe they use Fimo.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 07:22:03 PM
Quote from: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 06:32:43 PM
ah, but what layer of the Abyss does he live on? (and I can't actually remember myself, now)

Ok you are forcing me to pull out my uber D&D geek hat now: Layer 600 The Endless Maze

Quote from: Fabian on May 16, 2007, 06:32:43 PM
I believe they use Fimo.

Hmm, so why is it red?
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 16, 2007, 09:01:45 PM
Fimo comes in lots of different colours.

I've got to say this is a crud* minotaur sculpt. The head's all wrong. It looks like an elongated goat  (or possibly dog) head rather than a bull's.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 16, 2007, 09:08:15 PM
I've never used the stuff so thanks Balgin.

Now that you mention it, if you look at the head from the side and focus on the area between the nostrils and ears it does look rather equine. Either way it still works for me though.
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: Bodhi on May 17, 2007, 01:09:32 AM
That was my first thought: "Why does it have a horse head?" But I didn't want to be picky about it since I like the expression and over all impression of it anyway.

Colour of Fimo is not without it's problems as the pigmentation they use tends to somewhat effect the consistency of the stuff. Black I have found is allways rather difficult to work with compared to white for instance and red is the worst. A lot of French sculptors seem to prefer a chocolate brown variety which is probably what has been used here. I've never used it so wouldn't know...
Title: Re: Minotaur preview from Rackham
Post by: S1ND3X on May 17, 2007, 06:07:00 AM
that's not a minotaur it's a bad ass otaur :icon_w00t: