Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => Member Gallery => Topic started by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 12:52:38 PM

Title: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 12:52:38 PM
I painted this chap.... at least 10 years ago... probably 1996...

(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6365-2/bounty1.JPG) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/Fabes+Fotos/bounty1.JPG.html) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6367-2/bounty2.JPG) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/Fabes+Fotos/bounty2.JPG.html)
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 01:13:48 PM
woooo!  nice hair!

Cool!  Very colorful!
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: gi6ers on April 25, 2007, 01:31:52 PM
Interesting to see how people's painting improves with time...here's an early one of mine (not that long ago TBH  :icon_redface:): http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/gallery.php?photo_id=300&gallery_id=30 (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/gallery.php?photo_id=300&gallery_id=30)

Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 02:05:12 PM
I didn't paint anything from I think... 1997 - 2003... and then not again until 2004 but I feel I've learned more in the last 2 and a bit years than I did when I first started. The wonders of t'internet and helpful online chums.  :icon_wink:

EDIT: I started painting in 1991 or 1992 - my late nan bought me the Advanced HeroQuest paint set from Games Workshop Harrow when I went to visit. Thanks Nan!  :icon_neat:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 25, 2007, 02:36:16 PM
Online forums have helped a lot of people improve vastly.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 25, 2007, 03:45:51 PM
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/WRISTACTION/finished%20mini/ARMOUREDBIGBORISfull-1.jpg?t=1177530147)

This was my level of painting when i joined the FOD....  :icon_neutral:

@Gi6er's
Your photo's have improved as well, you should do new picture's of him as well.  :icon_wink:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: gi6ers on April 25, 2007, 03:50:41 PM
He's been in the stripping jar since then (twice) and I haven't seen him for a while....I'll probably stick another one on my next HF order.

Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 03:53:56 PM
(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/3726-18/bloodbowlmullet.jpg) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/cheddarmonger/Bloodbowl/bloodbowlmullet.jpg.html)

My first painted mini.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 25, 2007, 04:01:16 PM
You should post a tute on how you got your sunburn look...  :icon_whistling:

:icon_razz:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 04:12:18 PM
oh, thats easy.  prime black, basecoat dark flesh, drybrush elf flesh.  I think ....  maybe a coat of dwarf flesh in there somewhere?  The key is use undiluted paint.  drybrush at full thickness
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 25, 2007, 04:13:54 PM
I remember those days. I never even finished my first mini.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:27:34 PM
@ Cheddar Your last post made me nearly spew my tea! Full thickness paint is the only way to go! I remember your first FOD minis, Wristy, and you've really stuck at it and produce ace stuff. You also have a recognizable style, as do David and Matt, which I think shows how confident you've become.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 25, 2007, 04:27:46 PM
Airfix paint's and the really thick bushy rubbish free plastic brush you got in plastic model kits, well dipped in paint and plastered all over the figure.
Highlighting, shading, black lining who needed them back then and dry brushing was for girls.  :abduct:

Those were the day's, no sense, no know how, no worrying about messing it up near the end, just you the brush the paint and a figure.  :icon_mrgreen:

I really sucked at painting big time back then.  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 25, 2007, 04:30:44 PM
I had to reread your post again Fabian as i thought you said "Wristy, and you really sucked at it" untill i reread it again.  :rofl3:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:33:09 PM
Dammit! Tea spewing again! You guys are too funny!
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: gi6ers on April 25, 2007, 04:37:47 PM
Quote from: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:27:34 PM
You also have a recognizable style, as do David and Matt, which I think shows how confident you've become.

Really!?!  :icon_eek: I'm quite surprised by this comment...go on then, describe my style.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 25, 2007, 04:40:18 PM
Better yet, discribe all three.  :icon_twisted:

On the spot now.  :icon_wink:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:44:39 PM
Very well, "gixers"  :icon_razz: - deep shading, very pronounced contrasts between light and dark producing very solid, 3d effect; Cheddar - bright colours, shading not as deep or as blended as Matt's but good harmonious colour schemes, sometimes converted, perhaps a little whacky; Wristy - subtle, natural tones, attention paid to flesh tones, inventive combinations of miniatures, often monstrous.

That's on the spot, off the top of me head wittering.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on April 25, 2007, 04:50:47 PM
My own small contribution from about 12 years ago:

(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6371-4/Tech.jpg) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/keeper40k/Space+Marines/Tech.jpg.html)

And for the same army from about 6 years ago:

(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6352-6/TTDA.jpg) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/keeper40k/Space+Marines/TTDA.jpg.html)

Those of you who saw the Space Marine Captain I posted recently will have seen how much I've improved since then :)
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: gi6ers on April 25, 2007, 04:50:47 PM
@Fabian - ta, didn't think I had developed a style yet, if I had to describe what you do I'd say understated with a good feel for colour.

@Keeper - Those Termies are mental! I've got some of the chainfist version somewhere..
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:59:23 PM
@ gi6ers - Cheers, mate!

@keeper - yeah, those fellas are nutty! Or should I say wine-gummy? The colour scheme reminds me of Maynards wine gums packets... yes I'm weird.  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 04:59:48 PM
Um...  any particular reason for the pink triangle?  Does that mean the same thing out there as it does here?
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 25, 2007, 05:01:42 PM
@Keeper
They not only kick's the ass of mine back then but also jump on them too for effect as well.  :icon_razz:

Strange figure's can capture my humor at time's and then i have to paint them.  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 25, 2007, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 04:59:48 PM
Um...  any particular reason for the pink triangle?  Does that mean the same thing out there as it does here?

....or the rainbow theme?
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 05:04:37 PM
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on April 25, 2007, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: cheddarmonger on April 25, 2007, 04:59:48 PM
Um...  any particular reason for the pink triangle?  Does that mean the same thing out there as it does here?

....or the rainbow theme?
Yeah, the rainbow termies!
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 05:06:51 PM
Well there was a chapter called The Rainbow Warriors (40K geek hat on) who were destroyed for being heretical, but they were blue IIRC with a rainbow stripe running from top to beak on the beaky marines. I always thought they were kind of cool.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 25, 2007, 05:08:10 PM
Sounds cool. They are actually painted well. I just wondered where the theme came from.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on April 26, 2007, 05:22:09 AM
Yes, they are my Rainbow Warriors, but I felt that the colour scheme shown in Rogue Trader was a bit crud*, so I embelished it a bit ... although the terminators are an extreme example.  I'll try and take some photos of the other troops, so you can see what a more normal trooper looks like.

I developed a whole set of rules for the different colours of the armour to be used for different roles within the chapter, but I was a teenager and I had more time available then ...

I painted these terminators mostly for Space Hulk (in fact that is where I acquired the minis from), but obviously they can be used in my 40k army as well.  I've got a lots and lots of TTDA waiting to be painted with lots of different weapons combinations, but after painting five of them in this colour scheme, you are inclinded to paint something simpler for a while ... especially those blended rainbows, they do your head in after a while!  :blink:

I don't think the chapter has been desroyed for being heretical, though, as they are still listed as a chapter on the GW site.
Proof: http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/chapter-gallery/4/

However, my 40k gamer friends always accuse me of having painted Slaaneshii workshiping space marines :)  There is a line drawing towards the back of the Rogue Trader book of a Rainbow Warrior being shot by a Sister of Battle - maybe that is what you're thinking of, Fabian.

Yes the pink triangle means the same thing over here.  Technically, it is just a campaign badge, but you know, all those big strong men, living and working and fighting and dying together; not having any women or children about.  Nothing they need to shout about, just the way that they are.  Besides, I didn't start the subtle hints about the nature of Space Marines, Games Workshop did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Johnson  :icon_eek: ;)

I know what you mean about Wine Gums packets, Fabian.  I deliberately kept the colours a little flatter than I might otherwise have done so that they were bold and matched the rainbows.  When I tried highlighting them too much, they lost the colour connection to the blended rainbows and this figures just looked odd.  Well, OK, even more odd :D

I'll go and try and find the box they're in and my camera ... :)
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 26, 2007, 05:43:21 AM
Yep, Sister Sin shooting Brother Vermillion - a seminal Rogue Trader image. Maybe it's just fan boy fluff that they were all destroyed.

Brother Vermillion: Hey sister! Black is so last year!
Sister Sin: -

Bang!
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Medved on April 26, 2007, 06:56:09 AM
oh the old days of mini painting, when you never had to worry about mould lines or generally cleaning up the mini.

it was a case of stick him on the base and painting it green, then off to battle.

anybody remember priming minis with tipp-ex?
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 26, 2007, 07:11:17 AM
Quote from: Fabian on April 25, 2007, 04:44:39 PM
Very well, "gixers"  :icon_razz: - deep shading, very pronounced contrasts between light and dark producing very solid, 3d effect; Cheddar - bright colours, shading not as deep or as blended as Matt's but good harmonious colour schemes, sometimes converted, perhaps a little whacky; Wristy - subtle, natural tones, attention paid to flesh tones, inventive combinations of miniatures, often monstrous.

That's on the spot, off the top of me head wittering.

Somehow I missed this post.  Thanks for those observations!  I do see myself as harmonious and whacky!
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on April 26, 2007, 07:53:53 AM
For those few of you who are interested, I've posted some more of my Rainbow Warrior force in my Cheddarmonger's gallery:

(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6139-5/Space+Marines.jpg) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/keeper40k/Space+Marines/)
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 26, 2007, 08:11:44 AM
The days when orks was orks and space marines weren't 8ft tall superhuman aryan wet dreams.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 09:11:52 AM
As a Space Marine fan-the newer minis the better I must simply say:


"Ouch"
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on April 30, 2007, 09:16:20 AM
Quote from: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 09:11:52 AM
As a Space Marine fan-the newer minis the better I must simply say:

"Ouch"

Whilst I have a lot of nostalgia assiociated with these guys, I can't really disagree with you.  :shrug:

BTW, is that "Ouch! My eyes!" for the paint scheme, or "Ouch" in general at the sculpts? Or both? :D

I could use the same colour scheme on some new marines, if you prefer  :icon_twisted:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 09:57:35 AM
Lol..NO NO NO.  Its "ouch" in regards to the comments about Space Marines.

I WANT them 8 feet tall...I WANT them superhuman....I certainly dont desire them as Aryan (even with my SpaceWolf army(germanic-not Aryan damnit-lol) wet dreams.  Im strictly a ladies man/space marine fanboy(note my sig picture) .


Your paint jobs are great (with the one exception being the gloss..but you know that already).
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 30, 2007, 10:19:26 AM
Hehe I suppose I'm more of a Rogue Trader fan, in which it was their training, indoctrination and a few implants that made them the 'special forces' of the Imperium, and where the sculpts were a bit more cartoony and exaggerated. Each to their own, heretic.  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 10:29:39 AM
I actually still have those origional RT era beakymarines.



  To be honest, I love everything RT era EXCEPT the marines.  Funny eh?  I run a W40k campaign where one major bad guy is a rogue Imperial Army commander and his Zoat bodyguard(it confuses young GW fanatics).  The monolithic scale of RT was better IMO to what is produced now.

  Except for the marines lol.  I see the marines now as one of the two only logical extensions of the 40k universe from RT days.  The re-casting of Marine from Sardukar/psychopath(which still exists in the lore of some chapters) to a scifi superhuman held in check by ancient oaths and a battle brother mentality is awesome(along with the religious rift formed by their ancestor worship vs the Imperial cult).  The other cool thing that has "advanced" from RT days are the Adeptus Sororitas(from Sister Sin).  Other then these two things-I would go back to the old days ANY TIME.


  Necrons and Tau?  Makes me want to vomit. :icon_sick:
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on April 30, 2007, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 09:57:35 AM
I WANT them 8 feet tall...I WANT them superhuman....I certainly dont desire them as Aryan (even with my SpaceWolf army(germanic-not Aryan damnit-lol) wet dreams.  Im strictly a ladies man/space marine fanboy(note my sig picture) .

I totally agree with all you say here.  I guess that is why I've been drifting towards Hasslefree over the last couple of years.  Much more available there for those of us who like the ladies :)

Space Marines still hold that unfulfilled niche of "I want to be a soldier when I grow up", though.

Quote from: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 09:57:35 AM
Your paint jobs are great (with the one exception being the gloss..but you know that already).

Stop it already!  :icon_redface:  I posted them to show my exuberant teenage painting: the stuff we all normally just keep hidden in the cupboard, or just sell off.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 30, 2007, 01:26:15 PM
Sardaukar - those are the fellas... couldn't remember the name!

I like all incarnations of the Eldar, from their early pirate days to their current form (except for the Dark Eldar who had a rubbish concept and several terrible sculpts) and despite myself, I rather like the Tau. A match-up between RT era nut-job marines with needlers and shuriken catapaults and Tau would be hilarious, like slamming death metal against Japlish pop.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 03:29:54 PM
The Dark Eldar are terrible.  "LOOK AT US-WE ARE EVIL.  LOOK LOOK.  EEEEVIIIILLLL. LOOK. IM PUNCHING A BABY"

Yeah.  Whatever you goddamn Emo. 


   The Tau are good if you ignore their battlesuits.  They really look silly with the simple triangular shaped bodies.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on April 30, 2007, 03:32:40 PM
LOL! And also don't forget "Ooo we lurve pain! I really enjoy whips and spikes and stuff! We're so edgy!" Chris Fitzpatrick's sculpts are good, but Gary Morley's sadly are not. Strange considering I think his Wood Elves are the nuts.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on May 01, 2007, 06:51:33 AM
Quote from: Fabian on April 30, 2007, 01:26:15 PM
Sardaukar - those are the fellas... couldn't remember the name!

Not as hard as the Zensunni Fremen, though  :geek:

Quote from: Fabian on April 30, 2007, 01:26:15 PM
I like all incarnations of the Eldar, from their early pirate days to their current form

For reasons I can't quite remember, I picked up a copy of this month's White Dwarf for the first time in about two years, and I was really quite impressed with the new Harlequins.  For me, they seem to have managed to keep the flavour of the old minis, whilst updating them successfully.  Am I losing it?  Or have GW actually managed to produce something I want to buy again?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110104113&orignav=10

Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on May 01, 2007, 07:48:02 AM
Yeah-those are some nice sculpts...although ive been told that some of the origionals were so good they werent changed-but since I gave all mine away I have no way to check :(
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on May 01, 2007, 08:15:53 AM
The originals are so good I've never been able to part with mine! :)
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 09:24:49 AM
They are completely new sculpts but the style is consistent with the olds ones; I reckon they'd look like a coherent force if you mixed them. The new ones are more dynamic and 'jumpy' and I agree are very good indeed.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on May 01, 2007, 02:52:17 PM
Yeah...for years i was the king of old GW sculpts - I ended up giving a lot away especially with my dislike of the old Marine sculpts - but some of the old ones were amazing.  Like the origional Techpriests...and the Chaos Space Dwarves


There are some however that were simply terrible...(My old Dreadnaughts look retarded).  Like this old Space Marine Commander dude I have sitting on this lil chair thing with a badly sculpted SM guard.  Just freaking terrible.  I have a sneaking suspicion its the old Marneus Calgar since he is equiped with two power fists- guh.


 
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 02:57:50 PM
Yeah, I can't remember which way round that chap was labelled: whether he came out as "Space Marine Commander" first of all and was re-labelled "Marneus Calgar" later, of if it was the other way round. I think the former.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on May 02, 2007, 07:02:27 AM
If you don't want the old Space Marine Commander, I am sure I could find him a happy home if you would consider parting with him for a small sum of cash :)
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Baldemyr on May 02, 2007, 08:11:02 AM
If I can find him-and if he wasnt damaged in my "box 'o random lead" then sure :)  Ill need to find all his parts.
Title: Re: A blast from the past
Post by: Keeper on May 02, 2007, 11:12:50 AM
Let me know if you do.  I can even cope with a bit of damage :)