Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => Member Gallery => Topic started by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 09:54:39 AM

Title: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 09:54:39 AM
Since nobody's paying attention to thwe WIP thread :(....


Quotewhat colour are you planning for the armour??

Well you've had a taster with Fetish Girl but now you get the full blown frontal armour look!

FaceGirl! (Hiding nothing - exept her face......)

(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/Balgin/Miniatures/Rackham/FaceGirl6.jpg)

(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/Balgin/Miniatures/Rackham/FaceGirl7.jpg)

And from behind

(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/Balgin/Miniatures/Rackham/FaceGirl8.jpg)

Bone Shoulder detail

(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/Balgin/Miniatures/Rackham/faceGirl9.jpg)

Fear the purple! She lieks purple. Just pray you don't get too near to that purple cloth or else you might see something you'll wish you'd forget.

And I took another one too.

(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/Balgin/Miniatures/Rackham/FaceGirl10.jpg)



Now see those little raised Ares ram's horns on the knee plates? I'm thinking of doing them orange (fading to red near the edges) becayse the further down you go, the darker she gets (less details to do bright silver) so I think she needs something bright and colourful down there. When the idea first came to me (before I'd even painted them silver) orange just seemd right. It's also the complimentary colour of purple so I might just give it a go.

The armour on the other two will be darker (there's more room between the details) but I like it as a dark armour look and think it suits them.
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 23, 2007, 10:09:12 AM
She looks good. I posted my only suggestion in the WIP thread :icon_wink:
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 10:19:34 AM
 :clap2:

She looks nice!  Maybe a blue ink wash on that blue jewel on her left shoulder?  Or the whole reverse highlight plus white dot thing so prevalent on jewels?  And don't forget to tidy the base!

With those minor quibbles aside, this is a nice paintjob, I think one of your finest so far, and certainly something to be proud of.  The face, the hair came out great, nice depth, and the eyes are incredible.
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 10:42:51 AM
There's actualy four different shades of blue in that gem :( (Starts from enchanted blue then goes up one of the reaper blue triads).

The eyes are so huge that I was able to paint coloured bits in them as well as black dots. The trick, I've found is to paint a big coloured circle, then paint a tiny black dot in the middle. Then paint the coloured circle again brighter around the black dot (tidying it up) and leaving the darker colour around the edge of the coloured bit.

Then you paint the skin (easier than touching up where colours might've gone outside the eye).

And if you think this is my best yet you should see some of my WIP's :).

And yes Cheds, you may pinch the pic's if you like :).
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 10:51:54 AM
Quote from: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 10:42:51 AM
There's actualy four different shades of blue in that gem :( (Starts from enchanted blue then goes up one of the reaper blue triads).

The eyes are so huge that I was able to paint coloured bits in them as well as black dots. The trick, I've found is to paint a big coloured circle, then paint a tiny black dot in the middle. Then paint the coloured circle again brighter around the black dot (tidying it up) and leaving the darker colour around the edge of the coloured bit.

Then you paint the skin (easier than touching up where colours might've gone outside the eye).

And if you think this is my best yet you should see some of my WIP's :).

And yes Cheds, you may pinch the pic's if you like :).

Wow, the blending in the gem must be exquisite!  It just doesn't show up in the pic, just looks like natural sunlight hitting it.

You bet, I'll nick the pictures!  (I'll make them up into a collage, if you don't mind)

Cheers,
-- David
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 11:08:52 AM
Okay, she's posted on Cheddarmongers, thanks!

(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6331-4/facegirl.jpg) (http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/guests/facegirl.jpg.html)

Of course, if I had the bigger pictures, the collage would have come out a bit better...  ;)
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Bungle on April 23, 2007, 02:30:35 PM
Quote from: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 10:19:34 AM
and the eyes are incredible.

:yeahthat: X lots

a great job so far I like the bright work on her armour and how it contrasts.

I agree with the other comments about the hammer it needs a similar treatment to the armour, lots of darker bits and a few polished bits to lift them.

The sculpt.. I would like to see a non slip surface on the hammer grips.... that would just fly out of her gauntletted hands on a smooth steel shaft. (damn there I go again making fantasy practical)
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 30, 2007, 06:56:07 PM
Hey there's those protruding rings for that. I've done a lovely job on the hammer and hopefuly I'll have photo's sometime soon to prove it :).
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 01, 2007, 12:41:46 PM
Rarrr! The hammer head has now been selectively inked and looks well cool :).

(http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/Balgin/Miniatures/Rackham/faceGirl11.jpg)
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 01:27:58 PM
It does indeed look cool. Very envious of your skill with metallics.
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 01, 2007, 01:51:29 PM
Quote from: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 01:27:58 PM
It does indeed look cool. Very envious of your skill with metallics.

Envious? It's just the same way they painted the metals in every LOTR painting article in white dwarf I've ever read.

Boltgun Metal
Black Ink (& water)
Boltgun Metal
Chainmail
Mithril Silver

For the armour I did Boltgun Metal 1/Chaos Black 2
Black Ink & Water
Boltgun Metal (very light drybrushing)

And then the bright parts were mostly mithril silver but with the more detailed raised areas (like the edges of shoulder plates) were done the standard way.
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 01:57:07 PM
I tend to get a bit carried away with the highlighting and leave the paints too thick. You make it sound simple but you execute it well.
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: gi6ers on May 01, 2007, 02:04:31 PM
Nice work Balgin, I think I'd avoid the drybrushing stage and just use a thinned mithril or chainmail.

@Fabian: There is a really good painting class here for metals: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?t=145 (http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?t=145) I never used to thin my metals but I followed this class originally and it works a treat.
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 01, 2007, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 01:57:07 PM
I tend to get a bit carried away with the highlighting and leave the paints too thick. You make it sound simple but you execute it well.

I get carried away with highlighting. I don't lay it on too thick 'though. I simply make the highlights too large. So when I'm painting up from the shade, my successive highlights progress too slowly. Each new layer of colour covers almost as much as the previous one. I'll look at the perfect highlight and think "nah, it needs a bit more" and add some around the edges. So then I'll want to put on a brighter one that'll be smaller (but it won't).

I wish I wouldn't overdo my highlights but I do (so stuff often ends up a bit brighter than I'd intended).
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Fabian on May 01, 2007, 03:20:55 PM
I have that trouble too... my raptor has chrome plated armour now!  :icon_razz:

Excellent tutorial, thanks Matt. Not seen that one before!
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Dr.Evil on May 01, 2007, 04:47:16 PM
*This is my taste only*
I would have went for bronze on the metal strip on the hammer head to break up the hammer a bit, maybe even the two end's of the hammer head too.



Very good work, you can see that you spent some time doing it.

Just need to get you to start doing more on the base's.  :icon_wink:
Small bush, long grass, rock's and such, just to give it a bit of a personal look to it.  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: My first painted Rackham mini ever
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 01, 2007, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: Wristaction on May 01, 2007, 04:47:16 PM
I would have went for bronze on the metal strip on the hammer head to break up the hammer a bit

I considered that.

Quotemaybe even the two end's of the hammer head too.

Considered that too. Then I decided to paint them as plain metal, see how it looked and then make a decision as to wether I wanted to paint bronze over it or not. Then I decided that bronze is a softer metal and wouldn't be good for the striking heads and that it'd look a bit cack in the middle on it's own (so more of an all or nothing decision).

And as she had to go in my carry case the next day I varnished her to give me some time to make up my mind.