Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => Member Gallery => Topic started by: Keeper on April 23, 2007, 06:18:58 AM

Title: St George's Day
Post by: Keeper on April 23, 2007, 06:18:58 AM
Hi All,

Since it is St George's day today, I thought I'd post a suitable miniature.  Feel free to comment on the painting, although in my own defence I did paint this chap two or three years ago! :)

It would have been better if I'd finished the the St George and the Dragon mini from Salute a couple of years ago, but the Zero Three mini will just have to do!

(http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/gallery2/d/6321-1/KingRichard.jpg)
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 07:22:20 AM
The paintjob is pretty good!  Nice neat freehand, and the white has some subtle shading to it to give it depth.

Did you dullcoat this one?
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Keeper on April 23, 2007, 07:31:55 AM
No, actually this was sprayed with GW Satin varnish (whatever its name is), but I did it inside the garage on a wet day, and I've discovered that this makes the finish all chalky and powerdery.  Actually, the final effect is not as bad as I first thought it was (as you see), but it has made a bit of a mess of the chainmail.
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: gi6ers on April 23, 2007, 08:52:15 AM
Ah! Death by purity seal.

The chainmail and skin could do with a bit of shading but the freehand is very tidy (and I'm jealous!)
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 09:35:39 AM
:sign5:

If you touched up the chainmail, the skin, and the hair, this would be a great paintjob!
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 23, 2007, 10:04:12 AM
Strip it and start over! Just kidding.

Not bad if this was a few years ago. The freehand is very neat and the whites look good. try the touch ups suggested and post some new pics.
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 10:07:52 AM
That's nice. I like the sculpt (save the fact that that's a cavalry shield as the point is angled back and away from the body to protect the horse when he turns round to back off for another charge) and I like the paintjob too. Good stuff :).
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Fabian on April 23, 2007, 11:29:21 AM
Maybe he just got off his horse?  :icon_razz:
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: cheddarmonger on April 23, 2007, 11:39:46 AM
Maybe the Dragon ate his horse?

Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Bungle on April 23, 2007, 02:25:12 PM
Evil Turkish dragon.... and our brave armenian national saint.. what a cosmopolitan country we are  :icon_wink:
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 23, 2007, 04:21:24 PM
Quote from: Bungle on April 23, 2007, 02:25:12 PM
Evil Turkish dragon.... and our brave armenian national saint.. what a cosmopolitan country we are  :icon_wink:

I though you wrote American there at first...  :laughing7:
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 23, 2007, 04:57:15 PM
I thought that same thing.
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Rays Bat on April 23, 2007, 05:37:48 PM
Me three! :icon_scratch:
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Keeper on April 23, 2007, 05:49:08 PM
I might have a go at touching him up - but I keep seeing the lead mountain and thinking I should tackle those first ... maybe when the lead mountain is smaller :D

I'll do better chainmail, flesh and hair on the minis I paint in the mean time, I promise :)

I thought that St George was the national saint of:
England;
Georgia (the country, for you isolationists :));
Malta;
Lebanon;
Palestine;
Ethiopia;
Bulgaria;
Greece;
Portugal; and
Holland.

And, of course, boy scouts.

Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Bungle on April 23, 2007, 06:10:25 PM
was a soldier of the Roman Empire, from Anatolia, now modern day Turkey.
Saint George is the most venerated saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church and Oriental Orthodox Churches.

he is the patron saint of:
Canada,
Catalonia,  Aragon
England,
Ethiopia,
Georgia,
Greece,
Montenegro,
Portugal,
Serbia,
the cities of Istanbul, Ljubljana and Moscow, as well as a wide range of professions, organisations and disease sufferers.

His father was from Cappadocia and served as an officer of the Roman army. His mother was from Lydda, Lod in israel

I was wrong.... or maybe the borders change Cappadocia was part of the Armenian empire :icon_wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

I didn't know about holland, malta etc
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 23, 2007, 06:14:02 PM
Quote from: Bungle on April 23, 2007, 02:25:12 PM
Evil Turkish dragon.... and our brave armenian national saint.. what a cosmopolitan country we are  :icon_wink:

Yep, legend ahs it that the evil huge dragon crawled up out of the lake and saint Georg threw a rock at it which bounced off it's head but knocked it out so he'd won.

And so he became the patron saint of England which is an awful long way away and doesn't make much sense really.
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Keeper on April 23, 2007, 06:14:55 PM
The wiki is more comprehensive than my memory (as always), but at least I didn't get anything wrong! :D

Lepers, syphilis, skin disease and butchers don't seem to mix well, though!
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 23, 2007, 06:20:18 PM
Quote from: keeper40k on April 23, 2007, 06:14:55 PM
The wiki is more comprehensive than my memory (as always), but at least I didn't get anything wrong! :D

Lepers, syphilis, skin disease and butchers don't seem to mix well, though!

Don't you eat sausages and burger's then.  :icon_sick:
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Keeper on April 24, 2007, 05:05:41 AM
:laughing6: Only ones that I've made myself!
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Dr.Evil on April 24, 2007, 08:39:48 AM
Can't beat a homemade burger.  :icon_beer:
Title: Re: St George's Day
Post by: Baldemyr on April 30, 2007, 09:08:56 AM
Patron Saint of Canada? Huh?  Why havent us Canucks heard about this?  Is this one of those "former British colony means we inherit both the bad and the cool stuff from England" things?

  I wasnt aware we had a patron saint lol