Hey everyone here is a cyclops i made throwing a body. It is a 28mm scale large monster roughly 38-42mm to head.
(http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6503/nicksgreens2011mp9.jpg)
(http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1636/nicksgreens2013ls2.jpg)
(http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8641/nicksgreens2014xh1.jpg)
Plan on casting it up for Blood Moon Miniatures whenever we get a new mold made.
Interesting, so you are with Blood Moon? I like the guy he is about to throw.
Ya this is Nicolas. Blood Moon consists of Three brothers, Federico, Nicolas, and Marcello. I do commissions too though. Ill post up the other WIP minis soon i have some new snake men and a female barbarian I'm working on. Does custom hobby have a miniature line?
:welcome: to the forum. Yes we have a miniature line on the way. I am waiting a few things to be finished and am coordinating our releases. We are also developing a line of resin scenery pieces.
Hi Nicholas, :welcome: glad you joined.
I told Nicholas that we were a bit less harsh than frothers over here, but there were some good sculptors on here too.
;-)
PS I also told him I get told off when I am too harsh :icon_tears:
Quote from: Custom_Hobby on July 16, 2008, 04:01:23 PM
:welcome: to the forum. Yes we have a miniature line on the way.
I'll be guilty for a few of them... And some stuff for Bungle as well (15 mm). Welcome! Like your cyclops. It's got some anatomical issues (especially the victim) but the over all feel is great so who cares? :icon_mrgreen:
Oh, and I'm the one telling Bungle off :icon_wink:
:welcome: back Bodhi.
:yeahthat:... your two weeks sun bathing turned you from the natural north European blue colour to white?
Quote from: Bungle on July 16, 2008, 05:23:35 PM
:yeahthat:... your two weeks sun bathing turned you from the natural north European blue colour to white?
Nah more something zombieike. My skin is peeling bothe here and there. My twelve year old daughter had it right. She RAN into the shadow, carried an umbrella and refused to go into the sea.
That's what you get when you have an almost teenage daughter with Goth attitude. She hated the sun but was quite enjoyable to be with in the evenings :icon_smile:
I just got one dive done and declined a second one. Greece really isn't all that interesting to dive in and lacks the challenge and problemsolving part that makes diving in Sweden in the winter such an interesting experience despite lack of marine life here to. In Sweden it feels as if every dive makes you develop as a diver, in Greece it's just a bit of relaxation (fine to but not challenging)
Anyway....
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :icon_wink:
On topic....
anyone seen any drawings of Cyclops skulls?
the cheek bones look good on the sculpt, but I am having difficulty seeing how the shape of the top of the skull works.
Nicholas, do you look at things like these for inspiration?
(http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1439/1480847775_e2b35f4006_o.jpg)
(http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/mar2005/images/for-1197--Cyclops-Skull.jpg)
use images from elsewhere? or your imagination?
how do you work?
Is that a work in progress medusa in the last picture?
Ray Harryhausen is the GOD of cyclops' (I bet the skulls are based on his version) You familiar with the theory that the idea of cyclops could have derived from a misconception of found elephant skulls (The trunk "nostril" looks like a single eye if you look carelessly)? Personally I hate such theories (like the one with dragons being a misconception of found dinousaur bones) because it belittles the wonder that is human imagination. We don't need such things to dream up monsters.
Yep Harryhausen was excellent.
I had heard the theories about fossil bones before. I also liked the fire dragon theory in 13th warrior, no idea if it was a load of hokum but it was a fun twist.
Anyway....
the texture on the wooden club looks effective, the fur and loin cloths looks like matted sheep fleece.
How do you do fur Bodhi?
oh i use my imagination on all my sculpts that i make based from my ideas i never look at pictures that is probably my main problem lol ill have to try another one after lookign at anatomy pictures and these skull images. Thanks for the pictures!
Quote from: Bungle on July 16, 2008, 07:13:51 PM
How do you do fur Bodhi?
Drag a needle tool one row, then drag it a bit above that row and dragging again making the second row overlap the first. Slight curvature to the lines I'm dragging if I want that look, making them straight if I want that look. Play around with the length of the dragged lines to vary the texture and create the illusion of different types of fur. Also for long fur it's best to start working at an early stage and make rough thick strands with a teapered clayshaper then add detailing with a needle tool and x-acto knife once the putty has set a bit.
In short I pretty much use the technique Gubser desribes in his little booklet and I guess it's the same technique most people use.
Matted sheep fleece would be perfect for a classical cyclops I suppose. They ARE shepherds after all.
Here's an old abandoned project of mine by the way (Perhaps I'll get back on it one of those days... if I can find it... more likely I'll make a remake of the same pose) showing SOME fur. It's a drunken sleeping cyclops.
(http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/AlfVierth/greens001.jpg)
(http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/AlfVierth/greens003.jpg)
the issues i can spot with your sculpt are the upper body (pectorals), the inside of the elbows/arms and the eye on his head.
despite the fact he is a cyclops i think the eye is too high and sticks out too much. i's try to get it to sit in an eye socket like a regular eye and back from the nose.
the inside of the arms doesnt work so well, i think you need to look at the mucles that go around the forearm and connect the elbow with the upper arm ( it just looks like it's bending unnaturally)
the pectorals join the arm/shoulder much higher and hive you a chance to work on the deltoid (shoulder muscle)
the putty work is nice and smooth and the legs work well, as does the abdomen.
very fun sculpt!
Quote from: Medved on July 17, 2008, 04:48:50 AM
the inside of the arms doesnt work so well, i think you need to look at the mucles that go around the forearm and connect the elbow with the upper arm ( it just looks like it's bending unnaturally)
More a matter of looking at the skeleton than the muscles I think. One of the underarm bones looks like it's simply missing.