Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: Squigface on June 28, 2008, 09:59:55 AM

Title: WIP Viking sculpt
Post by: Squigface on June 28, 2008, 09:59:55 AM
Hi all, here's a sculpt of an Icelandic viking I've been piddling around with lately. It's based off me mate (head and face look nothing similar though :() who, like me, does a bit of historical reenactment sometimes. I'm pretty pleased with him so far, the anatomy and had in particular. The main reason it hasn't progressed further yet is that I can't wuite remember what his garb looked like. Any pointers very welcome.
(http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/schoolcormorant/P1010005.jpg)
(http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/schoolcormorant/P1010004.jpg)
(http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/schoolcormorant/P1010008.jpg)
(http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/schoolcormorant/P1010007.jpg)

And yes, I know the pictures are rubbish*e :S

SQuig
Title: Re: WIP Viking sculpt
Post by: Bodhi on June 28, 2008, 10:48:28 AM
Right row of the belly muscles (our right) should be lower than the left half in a pose such as this. It will make the crossover lines of the "sixpack" look more like a ladder than as a straight lines across it. Doing a rough ribcage will help you see better where the abdominal muscles should go. Making the legs thicker will help you with drapery placement.

Baggy trousers, "shoes" that are basically a leatherbag around the feet, tunic (short or longsleeved) with a belt around the waist. Cape held together with a fairly big and ornate "fibula", simple conical helmet. I believe that's the standard viking outfit. And a chainmail (sometimes)
Title: Re: WIP Viking sculpt
Post by: Squigface on June 28, 2008, 11:30:48 AM
Thanks for the anatomy pointers :) When I was talking about the grab I meant more exactly what the clothes my mate wore looked like ;)

SQuig
Title: Re: WIP Viking sculpt
Post by: mnordgren on June 28, 2008, 12:22:28 PM
Nice pose, it really feels dynamic. The head is big ,but the proportions still look good to me. Good work!

One idea could be leg bindings like on this one: http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?type=641&ref=CAFRCDBO01&code_lg=lg_us&pag=1&num=46
Title: Re: WIP Viking sculpt
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on June 28, 2008, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: Squigface on June 28, 2008, 11:30:48 AM
Thanks for the anatomy pointers :) When I was talking about the grab I meant more exactly what the clothes my mate wore looked like ;)

SQuig

I could give you advice on general dark ages clothing (as I like it and have some familiarity myself) but I don't know what your mate was specificaly wearing. Perhaps you could ask him about it :p.