Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: Theomar Pius on June 17, 2008, 11:42:52 PM

Title: chess board
Post by: Theomar Pius on June 17, 2008, 11:42:52 PM
The plan is to make a Warhammer chess board. However, as you can imagine, that will be an expensive endevour for sure. The plan is to have the pieces/ minis sit inside of the base, carry case style. So far though, all that is complete is the carving of the actual board. It's a few year old actually, but I recently dug it out for reference, and though I would share it.

(http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4862/cavernofdoom4331sj8.jpg)
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 17, 2008, 11:51:15 PM
Damn that chess board looks great!
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: Medved on June 18, 2008, 06:10:17 AM
looking great as CH says.  i made a version yonks ago and used empire and undead figures for the pieces.
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: Keeper on June 18, 2008, 06:18:40 AM
That does look good, Theomar :D
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: eyeolas on June 18, 2008, 01:52:58 PM
Is it carved into or not, the picture is playing trickes on me

also, will half the squares be washed with a black ink to destinguish the white and black ones?

looks great btw, what are you think for as pieces?
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: Custom_Hobby on June 18, 2008, 02:30:39 PM
Yes it is carved in.
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: Bodhi on June 18, 2008, 03:30:47 PM
I'm still mad as hell at my bandmates because they made a chessboard for our accordionist (she's a very skilled player and works as a seond mate on an international cargo ship so has PLENTY of long dreary hours at sea in which to play) where everybody sculpted a few figures each and they "forgot" to ask me - the only sculptor in the band - for a contribution  :tantrum: :tantrum:

Still have dreams of making one some day. I'm a lousy chessplayer though so motivation is a bit low.
This looks awesome.
Title: Re: chess board
Post by: Theomar Pius on June 18, 2008, 08:54:43 PM
I was thinking of doing grey based squares and tan based squared, kind of a granite vs sandstone.
Yes it is carved into the foam.
I was thinking Brettonians for one side, maybe dark elves, high elves, or Empire for the other. I want both sides to have shields to paint on.
I was thinking white shields on the brets, with the sillouttes of the chess piece on the shields. Can't firgure what to do for rooks though...