Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: Laikalappie on April 19, 2008, 05:41:49 AM

Title: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on April 19, 2008, 05:41:49 AM
As this is my first post on this forum, hi all!
I've been directed to this forum some time ago by Perv, and been looking around a bit lately. Since I need advice on something now,  I thought this would be a good opportunity to register on Customhobby!

Anyway, my question. I'm participating to an OPC in 2 to 3 weeks, with a Dwarf Siege Gun.
I got three original crewmembers from it: the swabber, chief (lits the gun) and a little guy with a bucket of water.
As I'd like to be original with it, I created a base. It has a little pool in it. I've never converted water before, or painted it. First, I tried to do it like this (http://www.coolminiornot.com/143872), though it looked bad. Then I got inspired by this (http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/220) article on CMON. I put some scenery rocks on the bottom of the gap for the water, added a bulk of PVA glue and painted ripples on it. It looks fairly good, though I'm doubting if it is good enough for an OPC, if I need to add another layer of PVA (and paint ripples again?) and just the overall look of the whole thing.

So, generally, any advice?
Here's some pics:
(http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/overall2.jpg)
Water WIP 1 (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/water1.jpg)
Water WIP 2 (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/water2.jpg)
Water overall pic (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/overall1.jpg)

Thanks in advance. Oh and by the way, I like your emoticons!!  :occasion14:
And your spell check .. since I'm Dutch  :icon_wink: Only had one tiny mistake, though.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Perv on April 19, 2008, 05:51:56 AM
Good to see you here mate, I couldnt help Laikalappie with this one so referred him here  :icon_wink:
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Agentmolar on April 19, 2008, 06:14:03 AM
Hi mate you've come to the right place for advice.

There is a trick to water. You have to create a field of depth using darker paints to represent the deeper parts of the water, and go up to lighter on the sides.

If you are going for a natural pond colour then use dark greens for the center to light brown on the edges. If you are going for a fantasy blue, Dark blue in the center and up to light blue on the sides.

You can also mix tints with the water effects you are using to give less of a clear effect.

http://www.hirstarts.com/tips24/tips24.html#river
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on April 19, 2008, 06:59:22 AM
Ok, but I'll probaly have to make a new pond for that? Or do you think I can change this one *going to have a look*?

Love your avatar by the way, Agentmolar  :icon_cool:
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 19, 2008, 10:28:42 AM
 :welcome: to the CH forum Laikalappie. Agentmolar covered it well for you. Try it out and post some more pics when you get a chance. :bludrgn2:
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Theomar Pius on April 20, 2008, 01:01:50 PM
I honestly didn't know that that was a pool, until you mentioned it. I think with the water, it's the waves that let it down. On water, I think it is best if all of the paint is beneath the surface. Try using WS water effects for waves. I've had good results with it in the past, and since they are just clear, it  more or less just looks like waves. Also, I would consider context. If this is a coastline, then rolling waves are appropriate. If it's a small pool, then the only way you would get big waves would be with huge wind. You are on the right path, as the water itself looks pretty good, just some pointers.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Agentmolar on April 20, 2008, 04:38:49 PM
Quote from: Laikalappie on April 19, 2008, 06:59:22 AM

Love your avatar by the way, Agentmolar  :icon_cool:

Your welcome  :icon_mrgreen:

Depending on the thickness of your water effects you could still play with it. Repainting the top of it with a gradient of colour, then reapplying the water effects on top will work.

Im really keen to play with envirotex to make a nice water feature. Hirst recommends using epoxy on the top to make ripples, alterantively water effects like theomar work quite nicely. Ive used them with good effect before. They can also be used to make water falls and icicles.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on April 21, 2008, 08:29:54 AM
Oh lol, I see your sig only now, nice quote and addition to your avatar :icon_mrgreen:

QuoteOn water, I think it is best if all of the paint is beneath the surface
Yeah, that was one of the things I had doubt about; I intended to add another layer of PVA glue when I painted the pool, though I thought it looked nice as it was and that another layer would probably become too thick, so I didn't.

The pool you see in the picture is removed by now, I'm making my third attempt at the moment, using the guide Agentmolar gave me. I'm going to finish that first.

I don't have anything like "WS water effects", and don't think I can/am going to get it any time soon either, since the local hobby shop has very few/none things useable for this hobby. So, any other advices?
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Theomar Pius on April 21, 2008, 12:18:50 PM
Woodlan Scenics water effects, I'd look again. It's in the model railroad section. That's all I've ever used, and it is soooo useful for me, I use it for waves, icicles, gap filling, texture on buildings, it is probably pound for pound, the most useful stuff out there.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Bungle on April 21, 2008, 12:26:35 PM
clear yacht varnish..... its slightly flexible, and has a very light brown tint....

costs about £5 a litre.


(http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/BungleB/Picture215.jpg)

(http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/BungleB/Picture156.jpg)
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on April 22, 2008, 07:57:49 AM
Ok, a little update on one crewman:
(note that although he's nearly finished, this is still WIP. I had to take some pics for bugmansbrewery, and took pics of him as well. And, apologies for the quality of the pics.)

(http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/1F.jpg)
(http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/1B.jpg)
(http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj128/laikalappie/1detail.jpg)

Feathers are looking nice IMO, but a little chalky. Don't know why.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Hawkins on April 22, 2008, 10:06:02 AM
QuoteFeathers are looking nice IMO, but a little chalky. Don't know why.


it looks like you added white paint for the highlight....dont add white paint, add yellow to the green and red (orange) for the highlight for the feathers, the blue is fine just try not the drybrush...
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Agentmolar on April 22, 2008, 10:29:47 AM
You can go white, but its the absolute last step.

Use desert yellow, bleached bone or Kommando Khaki for adding to highlights.

I have lately found that red works best by initially mixing bronzed flesh to get the blending, then using spacewolfs grey alone to get the reflection point with final pointing of white to finish off.. Dont ask me why, but its been a god send to painting red for me.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on April 22, 2008, 11:04:02 AM
Ah, okay, still learned something today then  :icon_w00t:

The Master Gunner also gots feathers, I'll paint those differently, see how it comes out and perhaps then repaint these.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Custom_Hobby on April 22, 2008, 01:07:28 PM
Looks nice. Also to avoid the chalky look think down the paints a little more.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on April 22, 2008, 06:25:06 PM
Okay, so you've got the ramrod, the fuse lighter and the bucket, where's the other two? The cannon ball and the one with the gun loading thing? Since you've got the fuse lighter I can understand the one with the cannon ball being missing but he does need to get the next one ready. You do know this was originaly a 5 crew model, right?
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on April 23, 2008, 03:34:22 AM
Yup, I know. It's a quite hard story. To keep it short:

Bought a lot of Dwarf figures from some guy for bargain.
There were two siege guns, two flame cannons and one organ gun with it.
FCs had full crew. The siege guns and organ gun combined, had eight crew. I even had one Dwarf swivel gun crewmember with them. I sold one siege gun, a flame cannon and an organ gun, and I choose to keep these crew.

Perhaps am I going to buy the other two crewmembers some other time, but since you use three crewmembers in game, I'm not going to for now.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Perv on April 23, 2008, 08:11:51 AM
The crewmen are easy to find so wont be a problem mate.

I never knew they only allowed 3 crewmen per machine in a game, bloody rules and regulations !!!!  I feel sorry for all those people who have made a large base containing all the crew as I bet GW wont allow the 2 extra to be ignored in a tourney.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Agentmolar on May 03, 2008, 12:30:58 AM
I found this again today, and though it might be of use to you when doing water features in the future
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page112.html (http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page112.html)
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Balgin Stondraeg on May 04, 2008, 12:52:10 PM
Quote from: Perv on April 23, 2008, 08:11:51 AM
The crewmen are easy to find so wont be a problem mate.

I never knew they only allowed 3 crewmen per machine in a game, bloody rules and regulations !!!!

That came in in 4th edition. In 1st to 3rd warmachines varied in power based on the number of crew required to operate them (from 2-10 crew, and yes, I once fielded a 10 crew rock lobber in a siege game).

QuoteI feel sorry for all those people who have made a large base containing all the crew as I bet GW wont allow the 2 extra to be ignored in a tourney.

Dwarfs can add an engineer (basicaly like a champion but for warmachine crews) to take it up to 4 crew (with some amazing bonuses) and then you might be able to add a second higher level engineer hero to bulk it out to 5.

Not sure about filling out the goblobber's 6 crew 'though :(.
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Perv on May 05, 2008, 07:47:59 AM
Makes me wonder why they reproduced the Gob-Lobber with all its crew then !!!!

Cheers for info mate, more reasons to hate GW  :icon_w00t:
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Caerban on May 05, 2008, 08:52:58 AM
Quote from: Perv on May 05, 2008, 07:47:59 AM
Makes me wonder why they reproduced the Gob-Lobber with all its crew then !!!!

Cheers for info mate, more reasons to hate GW  :icon_w00t:

Now, now! We don't hate GW. But it is another reason to mock them for their money-grubbing inconsistency :D
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Custom_Hobby on May 05, 2008, 09:43:00 AM
You will see why I don't hate them soon enough... :bludrgn2:
Title: Re: Dwarf Siege Gun
Post by: Laikalappie on June 10, 2008, 10:13:21 AM
Sorry guys, haven't looked on this forum in ages, mainly because I was (and still am) quite busy with school.

To tell you the truth; I've nearly done nothing to this figure. I was too late for the OPC I wanted to use it for, and never started painting it again afterwards. New pics will just show you some minor updates, probably.

Dwarf Cannons with 5 crew? Hmm, it's possible, yeah. 3 Crew + Engineer + Master Engineer. That'd mean it does (if any of you actually play warhammer :) ) D6 Wounds and .. you can re-roll some dice or so, I never added an engineer to cannons, really. Aside from having 5 crew, of course, which is a nice advantage as well.

I'm two weeks from vacation, after that I'm going to London/Nottingham for three days (Warhammer World  :icon_w00t:), and after thát, I'll have a whole load of time for warhammer, which will incluse this project.