Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: Perv on March 11, 2008, 06:06:26 PM

Title: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: Perv on March 11, 2008, 06:06:26 PM
Anyone know where I can get a model rope ladder and a small crane arm or derrick?  I dont fancy making the ladder but can do at a push.  The crane arm needs to be about 1.5 inches long and so I can thread a model chain through the end so it works as a hoist, wont be attached to model crane machinery.
Title: Re: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: geronimo on March 11, 2008, 06:24:06 PM
Your local model railway shop should be able to help you out on part of that at least. Lots of O or N gauge cranes, or suitable industrial bits available as kits - water towers, coal chutes, derricks, that kind of thing. Have seen some complete with fine gauge chain and moving hoist wheels.

Rope ladders - model boat shops. The guy in the unit next to us at work is a boat shop but he doesn't have a website. I'll try and have a peek in there tomorrow and see if he's got anything that would suit you :)
Title: Re: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: Perv on March 11, 2008, 06:38:31 PM
Nothing local to me unfortunately so internet only.  I tried that Netmerchants but cant find anything there, they had a few crane models but all for more money than I want to pay, think cheapest was about £16 IIRC

Will have a mosey around the railway sites as you're right there should be something from their ranges I can use  :icon_wink:

If you could ask your neighbour that'd be brilliant mate, only need it about 6 inches long.  No rush though as its not stopping me doing more on the piece.

Mucho Gracias

By the way I still have the pieces cast up from that mould I got if you wanted them?  They're wrapped up somewhere and just need your address to send em to ya

Just found this and its closest to what I want.  Painted in a different way it should be fine.  No luck with the rope ladder so far though  :icon_scratch:

(http://quantrum.co.uk/redbankmodels/images/Robbe%201565.jpg)
Title: Re: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: Keeper on March 12, 2008, 08:02:33 AM
Have you looking in shops locally that stock model railway stuff? Somewhere like ModelZone, if you've got one.
Title: Re: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: Perv on March 12, 2008, 09:46:42 AM
Nothing at all local mate, Norwich is over 30 miles away which is nearest place that'd have one.  I've got a model radio controlled car shop here but thats it  :icon_scratch:
Title: Re: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: geronimo on March 12, 2008, 09:56:17 AM
The neighbour's shop had no joy on rope ladders - he specialises in boats and as far as he knows, nobody makes them. Wouldn't be that hard to scratchbuild one with twisted fuse wire and strips of balsa/lolly stick, surely?

Lots of cranes around in various railway scales. Personally I'd go for something victorian/steam age - if I spot a link I'll post it!

And yes please on those blocks - they can be added to the enormous "to-do" list ;)

EDIT How-to GW article on rope ladders http://thewarofthering.uk.games-workshop.com/fangorn-lothlorien/tree-flets/1/
Title: Re: Rope ladder and a derrick\crane needed
Post by: Perv on March 12, 2008, 10:52:09 AM
Thanks for asking him anyway.  I thought I'd have to scratch build it. 

I will use model chain and matchsticks I think.  Matchsticks will be pretty much the ideal size already so saves cutting anything, much cheapness too  :icon_w00t:  They're not all exactly the same so will look authentic I think....

If you do spot an old looking crane please post it, I have searched loads of places online and just cant find anything perfect  :icon_scratch:  I dont need the whole thing, just the arm wth a loop on the end so I can thread chain thru it but if the whole thing looks suitable for a fantasy setting then will be better

That GW ladder only looks suitable for a lean Elf to go up it  :icon_w00t:

Pm me your address and I will send blocks this weekend, think they're in loft somewhere.....