Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: Bodhi on January 26, 2008, 09:07:26 AM

Title: First paintjob
Post by: Bodhi on January 26, 2008, 09:07:26 AM
No pics yet, just some thoughts. Started to paint one of the Bob Olley goblins. First attempt at painting a mini in eight years I think.
Not enjoying it and I doubt it will become a hobby of mine. Maybe it's because I'm a sculptor but I just keep having the feeling that I'm ruining a really allready finished artwork...
Silly I know. When others have done beautiful paintworks I've allways felt that it added a LOT so it's not a general feeling, just a feeling I'm having with my OWN painting.
Thought I'd finish it anyway and put some pics up for you all to hack apart  :icon_mrgreen:
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Theomar Pius on January 26, 2008, 12:06:35 PM
Looking forward to it.
When I paint a figure now a days, it's because I have to have painted minatures with my terrain pieces, not so much because I really like painting minis.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bodhi on January 26, 2008, 12:36:50 PM
Yeah I'm making a little autumn landscape for him with a gnarled tree in the hopes that that will liven things up a bit.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: gi6ers on January 26, 2008, 01:47:32 PM
 :worthless:
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bodhi on January 26, 2008, 05:42:22 PM
Quote from: gi6ers on January 26, 2008, 01:47:32 PM
:worthless:

How right you are my esteemed friend  :icon_wink:

To much black, and a bit messy. He's got a fire in front of him so I hope to try doing some sourced lighting from that.
But the first basic painting should be done now.
Except for the metal parts. Daren't try NMM and I haven't got any metal colours so I have to buy some first. Alone with the kids and working fulltime the whole week so I doubt I'll be able to buy any before next monday or so. Pupils where done with a ballpoint pen. BAD idea. So I'll redo them.
Tried to do a hint of bloodshot eyes. Not sure if I succeeded.
(http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/AlfVierth/IMG_1576_edited.jpg)
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Keeper on January 26, 2008, 06:08:20 PM
Nice work for not having painted so long, Bohdi!  Nothing I can see that is worth mentioning, that I don't think you wouldn't pick up on your own in your first half-a-dozen painted minis!

I like the pale green skin colour - it really makes him distinctive :D
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bodhi on January 26, 2008, 06:59:46 PM
Used Vallejo and a mix of scorpy green and green brown dilluted with about 80% water then highlighted with Ice yellow (white undercoating).
I'll try to get some reds in once I've got the fire done (sheen from the fire) but I'm a bit scared of that part. Any tips from experienced painters out there?

On the "boot" I tried to make a bloodstain with a demarkation (I've seen mudstains done that way and have allways liked the "french ligne claire" comic effect that gives, Jean Giraud and all that) but I'm not happy with it. Would apreciate tips on how to get that effect to.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Dr.Evil on January 26, 2008, 09:35:40 PM
I had to ask for some help myself when I gave it a go.
I think it needs to be brighter than I did.
Must give it another go some time.

Work out where it will reflect on the figure and where it will stand out more.
It's the same as painting skin, cloth or such, have the glow brighter on the raised parts so you can still see the details and more bold then in real life.

It's the more bold than in real life that I find hard to do in figure painting.  :icon_neutral:
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: gi6ers on January 27, 2008, 03:14:01 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

:yeahthat:  and better than anything I'm producing right now.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 05:17:15 AM
Quote from: gi6ers on January 27, 2008, 03:14:01 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

:yeahthat:  and better than anything I'm producing right now.


:yeahthat: I haven't painted for months
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Dr.Evil on January 27, 2008, 08:05:04 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 05:17:15 AM
Quote from: gi6ers on January 27, 2008, 03:14:01 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 26, 2008, 05:48:09 PM
First attempt in 8 years?

seems like you are getting back in the swing of it quickly.

thats tabletop quality or better in my experience.

:yeahthat:  and better than anything I'm producing right now.


:yeahthat: I haven't painted for months

What's painting...  :icon_scratch:

:icon_wink:

It's miles better than what I did when I restarted painting.  :clap2:

I wouldn't worry about NMM unless your wanting to learn something different, me I want to improve my basic painting first.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 08:35:10 AM
Quote from: Wristaction on January 27, 2008, 08:05:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about NMM unless your wanting to learn something different, me I want to improve my basic painting first.

NMM works for photos of a miniature on the net....

it doesn't work for miniatures in real life as well.

keep with metallics and shade them
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Caerban on January 27, 2008, 08:55:01 AM
That's really nice.  :clap2: :clap2:
Colour scheme's got enough sickliness to it to prevent it looking like just another Kermit the frog goblin. Pretty good for a long spell out. I just want these damn viruses out of my eyes so I can get back to painting again :(
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bodhi on January 27, 2008, 09:34:15 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 08:35:10 AM
Quote from: Wristaction on January 27, 2008, 08:05:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about NMM unless your wanting to learn something different, me I want to improve my basic painting first.

NMM works for photos of a miniature on the net....

it doesn't work for miniatures in real life as well.

keep with metallics and shade them

Yeah, only reason I even thought about NMM was that I had three small cans of metallic colour (boltgun black, mithril silver and chainmail. All GW colours). When I opened them they were completely and totally dried out. The chainmail was a kind of thick paste at least so I tried spreading it on with a clayshaper. Looked awful so I scrud*ed it of.
Got any tips on a good Vallejo starter kit for metals? I'd like to have bronze and steel and iron effects possible (And a nice rusteffect would be nice). Silver and gold can wait. I have an aversion against nobility and such themes anyway, prefer the poor sods me.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 09:55:21 AM
personally I don't like vallejo metals.

what can you get locally?

GW tin bitz is a nice dark mucky metal, chainmail and silver for final highlights
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Bodhi on January 27, 2008, 11:07:25 AM
Quote from: Bungle on January 27, 2008, 09:55:21 AM


what can you get locally?


Dunno yet. I know I can get GW and Vallejo but if I get a good brandname I could allways ask around in the hobby shops and see what gives.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Caerban on January 27, 2008, 11:59:06 AM
I prefer the Miniature Paints metallics to GW, the chainmail is particularly good. I've got a VMC copper but I've not used it yet.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Dr.Evil on January 27, 2008, 12:31:35 PM
You need silver for edges and such and where the metal shines through the rust.  :icon_wink:
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Keeper on January 28, 2008, 05:52:16 AM
Whilst I would recommend getting some new metallic paints, you do know that so long as they've not totally dried out, acrylics like these can be revived really quite well by the addition of water.  Its best just to add a tiny little bit at a time, give it a good shake, then come back to it later and see if it needs any more, but I've "revived" more than one pot of dying citadel and GW paints this way.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Dr.Evil on January 28, 2008, 08:11:43 AM
Quote from: keeper40k on January 28, 2008, 05:52:16 AM
Whilst I would recommend getting some new metallic paints, you do know that so long as they've not totally dried out, acrylics like these can be revived really quite well by the addition of water.  Its best just to add a tiny little bit at a time, give it a good shake, then come back to it later and see if it needs any more, but I've "revived" more than one pot of dying citadel and GW paints this way.

And a drop of flow enhancer would help too.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Perv on March 10, 2008, 06:24:34 AM
Quote from: Wristaction on January 28, 2008, 08:11:43 AM

And a drop of flow enhancer would help too.


Works much better than just water alone.  After my paints almost completely dried up I put a mix of water and Daler Rowney flow enhancer in the pots to revive, better than new now !!!
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Dr.Evil on March 10, 2008, 09:41:05 AM
If you have one of those paint shakers or made one, it would help as well.
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Hawkins on March 10, 2008, 11:58:20 AM
for an 8 year hiatus, its great! wish i had a camera, been painting tons of stuff for others and no way to document it before they leaves my hands.

:clap2: keep it up cant wait to see your next one:)
Title: Re: First paintjob
Post by: Dr.Evil on March 10, 2008, 04:27:24 PM
Slightly off topic but for a cheep half decent starting off camera, I used and still have a Fujifilm Finepix 2600Zoom and you can get them cheep 2nd hand on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUJIFILM-FINEPIX-2600ZOOM-3X-OPTICAL-ZOOM-2-MEGA-PIXELS_W0QQitemZ220207775956QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£12.00 is a very good price for it for.  :icon_wink:

I'm not selling it and I still use mine at times so I'm keeping mine.