Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: Inso on December 20, 2007, 12:30:47 PM

Title: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Inso on December 20, 2007, 12:30:47 PM
I found a Revell ARC 170 mini kit in a cheapshop and thought that it would make a good basis for a Grymn fighter.  I got it home checked it for size and manipulated it a bit and came up with this (WIP) G.A.S. :

(http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Grymn/GrymnGAS.jpg)

I then started tinkering a bit more and have now got to this stage:

(http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Grymn/GrymnGAS2.jpg)

The nose gun is still drying so it was unable to be photographed.

Comments Welcomed  :icon_w00t:.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Dr.Evil on December 20, 2007, 02:44:39 PM
Anti grav or will you have hovering jets, so it can have that menacing hover look.

looking good Inso.  :clap2:
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Inso on December 20, 2007, 04:02:29 PM
More hover than anti-G.  If you look at the wing surfaces, there are grey panels.  They are for ducted airflow to provide the hover and steering ability.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Fabian on December 20, 2007, 04:48:28 PM
Steve, brilliant and bonkers  :clap2:
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Perv on December 20, 2007, 07:00:19 PM
That looks great, superb imagination  :clap2:
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Custom_Hobby on December 20, 2007, 10:44:48 PM
When it two things came to mine the A10 Warthog and the Apache Gunship :clap2:
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: snuurg on December 21, 2007, 02:36:51 AM
aww, it's cute :P nice sharp work on the cockpit!
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Theomar Pius on December 21, 2007, 04:03:42 AM
ACK!!!
I look all over for a decent model of the arc-170, and you converted it!
Nice job and all, but geez, convert something more common next time!  :icon_saber:
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Inso on December 21, 2007, 06:27:10 AM
Quote from: Theomar Pius on December 21, 2007, 04:03:42 AM
ACK!!!
I look all over for a decent model of the arc-170, and you converted it!
Nice job and all, but geez, convert something more common next time!  :icon_saber:

...I couldn't help it  :icon_ermm:...they were on sale for £2-69 and at that price I couldn't say no  :icon_wink:.  They were too small to use frontway forward so I turned mine around  :icon_twisted:.

I may even drag my missus into the local town to get some more...they aren't rare in Cornwall, you're basically tripping over them down here  :icon_w00t:.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Keeper on December 21, 2007, 06:37:59 AM
Quote from: Inso on December 21, 2007, 06:27:10 AM
I may even drag my missus into the local town to get some more...they aren't rare in Cornwall, you're basically tripping over them down here  :icon_w00t:.

Towns aren't rare in Cornwall?  I don't think they're that rare anywhere in the UK, are they? ;)

Can't wait to see a fleet of these beauties, Inso :D
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Custom_Hobby on December 21, 2007, 08:50:08 AM
Now we know what Theomar wants for Christmas :icon_wink:
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Theomar Pius on December 21, 2007, 01:39:21 PM
The only arc170 kit here in detroit is the revell kit, which is very rare and runs about $60, which is like 25-30 pounds. It's pre-painted as well, but that doesn't mean you can't paint it as well.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Inso on December 21, 2007, 02:09:54 PM
You should be able to get the kits you mention for around $15-00 on line (plus postage)...$60-00 is a bit steep!

The little kit I got was also pre-painted and to be honest, has taken a couple of layers of paint to undercoat it (but it is now coated).  I really must use oil based undercoat...it speeds the process up a lot.

If I spot any of them going cheap, I'll pick a couple up and if you don't want them, they will end up as something...if not just bits in my bits box.

Anyway...I have undercoated the G.A.S. Dark-Angels Green at the moment.  It will end up a mid green and I will be adding some sort of camo pattern to the top.  I may go a mid grey underneath...but I haven't got that far yet...decisions, decisions  :icon_wink:.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Inso on December 23, 2007, 02:52:15 PM
It's getting there slowly:

(http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Grymn/GrymnGAS3.jpg)

Still a long way to go though  :icon_wink:.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: matty1001 on December 24, 2007, 11:58:58 PM
Looking Class!
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Custom_Hobby on December 25, 2007, 11:12:34 AM
Top notch work there Inso!!!!
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Keeper on December 25, 2007, 04:38:01 PM
Superb work, Inso :)  Looks sufficiently unlike the original to be classed as a great conversion, for what my opinion is worth :D
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Hawkins on December 26, 2007, 11:18:11 AM
looking great Inso
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Inso on December 30, 2007, 12:47:23 PM
No decoration or varnish yet but it is finished:

(http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/Inso/Grymn/FinGas1.jpg)
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Custom_Hobby on December 30, 2007, 04:30:16 PM
Top job. It looks great!
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Theomar Pius on December 30, 2007, 05:58:55 PM
That is a great creation. You did a great job, looks nothing like how it started.
Title: Re: Grymn Ground Assault Skimmer.
Post by: Keeper on January 02, 2008, 06:01:15 AM
That is superb, Inso :)

Best convestion I've seen all year, so far ;)  But it is going to take some beating!