Custom Hobby Forum

Hobby Workbench => W.I.P. => Topic started by: mnordgren on October 11, 2007, 07:06:47 AM

Title: Some WIPs
Post by: mnordgren on October 11, 2007, 07:06:47 AM
Hello all, I thought I'd post some WIPs. Both were made using a mix of Greenstuff and Aves Apoxie, about 30 % GS and 70 % AA (I think). I like this mix as it's easy to smooth, and it's great for doing bigger shapes as it can be carved/sanded after it sets unlike GS.

The first one is a knight, without feet so far. There are more pics of him in the gallery. The sword is made of AA.

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/mnordgren/newwips/front1.JPG.html

The second one I'm not so sure of what it is, more of an anatomical excercise. The hair is made of GS.

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/mnordgren/newwips/front1_001.JPG.html
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: gi6ers on October 11, 2007, 08:40:07 AM
Not able to fill a gap with the stuff myself so very impressive. the knight looks scared and would work well in a suitable scene.

I'm sure Bodhi will be along shortly with something useful to say..
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Fabian on October 11, 2007, 05:33:39 PM
He's on holiday, so we'll have to wait a week.
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Custom_Hobby on November 17, 2007, 10:39:27 PM
mnordgren have you done any more work on these?
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Bodhi on November 18, 2007, 02:24:57 AM
Quote from: gi6ers on October 11, 2007, 08:40:07 AM

I'm sure Bodhi will be along shortly with something useful to say..

That comment was an effective way of shutting me up... I get prestation anxiety :icon_redface:
It's not as if I'm the recident expert or anything  :icon_rolleyes:
Just trying to sculpt as everyone else.
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: gi6ers on November 18, 2007, 03:40:58 AM
Quote from: gi6ers on October 11, 2007, 08:40:07 AM
I'm sure Bodhi will be along shortly with something useful to say..

or not...
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Dr.Evil on November 18, 2007, 05:47:07 AM
Never pick your nose when using greenstuff, it's easy to get them mixed up and it's not as strong when set.  :icon_sick:

Since you more advanced at it than me, there's nothing I can advise.
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: S1ND3X on November 18, 2007, 07:53:43 AM
i like the knight, he's got a really good pose, i think however your heads are somewhat too big, everything else will come with practice
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Custom_Hobby on November 18, 2007, 10:06:42 AM
Quote from: Bodhi on November 18, 2007, 02:24:57 AM
It's not as if I'm the recident expert or anything  :icon_rolleyes:

Being that both you and S1ND3X are the most experienced sculptors that are here regularly, I would say you are :icon_wink:
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Bodhi on November 18, 2007, 11:05:15 AM
AAAAAARGH!!! Beam me up Scotty! :abduct:

There's some "flakiness" to the finish of the second sculpt. I use almost the same mixture as you except I use magic sculp instead of Aves (easier to get hold of in europe) but they have the same properties I've been told. I find that the tendency for "Flakiness" in magic sculp is greatly reduced by: 1: Adding vaseline to the mixture. Plenty of it. For a peasized batch I simply dip my finger in vaseline and mix it in. 2. Making a 50/50 mix of green stuff and magic sculp 3. Using plenty of vaseline while sculpting. The magic sculp part absorbs it so it need not even be cleaned of between layers. I do it anyway to be on the safe side.
4. Not doing the final smoothing until after AT LEAST an hour (In swedish climate conditions but I believe you're from Sweden so it should apply)

Nice pose (and much better finish) on the first one. Head is big but I assume that's a style you've chosen so there's not much to say about that.
Title: Re: Some WIPs
Post by: Custom_Hobby on November 18, 2007, 11:08:55 AM
Don't worry Kev popped by once and Steve is does come by regularly